free website stats program Ticking noise when accelerating | Harley Davidson Forums

Ticking noise when accelerating

Pat King

My 09 Night Train started making a ticking noise when I accelerate. It doesn't do it all the time though......It actually sounds like something is hitting metal. At first I thought that there were stones hitting my pipes or something.

Any ideas? It has only 1500 miles on it.

Thanks

Pat

Could be an exhaust leak. Try to localize where it is coming from.

Use Glider's tried and true method of covering the exhaust pipes with heavy gloves on to see if you can hear if the exhaust is leaking somewhere. If you can find someone to help cover the pipes while you run around to all the joints, better!

If not that, what kind of fluids (lubricants) do you have in the bike? Is the fuel management OEM or have you added a manager of some sort? Are you using high octane gas? When you say "accelerating" is that only in first gear from a dead stop, or any time you roll on? Does it happen only at lower RPMs?

TQ

My Road King does the same thing when I am pushing it hard up a mountain . It has always done it so I don't worry about it. It sounds like the front tire is kicking up little stones into the front fender. At first it thought I had run through some tar and the stones were being thrown up but it does it no matter what mountain I go up. I live in the mountains of pa so I have to go ove one no matter where I go. I'm Not saying to ignore it but don't be afraid of every noise your bike makes. It is a harley and the are known to be a bit noisy.:s

Tigg

From the way you describe the noise "when I am pushing it hard up a mountain", that sounds like pinging. What grade of gas are you using and do you have a tuner?

Well, I went to my dealer today and went riding all day with a group of guys. The general consensus is that it's pinging slightly. I didn't think it would be doing it already, but it is what it is I guess. They said that once I get my fuel management system in that it might go away.

It's very mild and only occurs after it's really hot.....(riding for at least an hour and a half).

Hi Glider I only use 93 octane and the bike has a PCIII on it . It runs awesome with the setup it has. It may well be pinging but I'm not sure . It is hard to hear. If you aren't listening for it you won't notice it.

Just for the heck of it, I would try another gas station or brand of fuel. It's not uncommon for a station to be pumping bad fuel.

I will give it a try to see (when the cold finally breaks enough for me to get out). I could use an ocatne boost just to see if it goes away. I wouldn't want to put it in all the time but for test purposes I would give it a try.
Thanks Bro.

Back