free website stats program Throttle Stuck Open | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle Stuck Open

I've tried several lubes on the cable in the past, most recently I shot some Marvel Mystery OIl down the cable housing and was quite impressed.

I filled an old syringe and stuck it into the opening of both cables at the top and added until it weeped out the bottom.
Worked very good and no mess.

I use liquid silicone

Cables have been Teflon lined since '10, maybe since '07 but for sure since '10 and should not require lubrication.:confused: As a matter of fact, lubricating Teflon lined cables can hinder smooth cable operation, particularly graphite based lubricants. I have replaced the cables on my '02 and '05 bikes with the Teflon cables to eliminate the need to lube............:cool:

I have newer cables on mine, most likely teflon lined. Throttle cable was a little sluggish, lubed with MMO and now it snaps back like new.

Teflon lined or not a little lubrication (non graphite) on moving parts goes a long way.

Borrowing a saying from BUBBIE, it's my way and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
If a Teflon cable gets sluggish the cable should be replaced. Lubing the cable will produce good immediate results which will likely be temporary as the lube will eventually gum up the cable and it will require lubing again; akin to chasing one's tail. Replacing a sluggish Teflon cable is my way and I am sticking to it but II haven't had to replace one yet. However, I do respect your way as well, just don't agree that it's the best way.......;)

It's a year old cable. I'll stick to lubing my cables once a year, it's worked for me on every bike i've owned and I've never had 1 fail, or gum up because of lubing.
BTW, it's never been a temporary fix, once a season and good to go for the year. I see it as general maintenance.:)

Last edited:
I hear ya and understand. On the other hand, the whole reason for Teflon lined cables was to eliminate maintenance. As long as you do it annually, you should never have an issue with sluggish cables; I love MMO, amazing stuff with so many uses.:cool: Cable lubing is just one maintenance item I decided to eliminate from my general maintenance program.......;)

Maybe i'm a little fussy but it's always worked good for me. I got a little curious so I did some research on the old internet and could not find any of the manufacturers of motorcycle cables that suggest no lubrication is needed.
As a matter of fact they say they're cables come lubed using a silicon lubricant.

Could you be speaking of a specific maker of cables that need no lube?

Last edited:
Think i'll stick with what the manufacturer says. Barnett clutches and cables are probably 1 of the best on the market and they pre lube theirs for a reason.

As a wise man once said, your ride you decide.

Think i'll stick with what the manufacturer says. Barnett clutches and cables are probably 1 of the best on the market and they pre lube theirs for a reason.

As a wise man once said, your ride you decide.
Jeff might your cables be nylon coated instead of Teflon????

Back