free website stats program Thoughts On Portable GPS's? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thoughts On Portable GPS's?

I've have the TomTom Rider on the Ultra & the One 2nd Edition in my truck, these are very handy tools , but can also become a distraction. You still need memorize your track before heading out. The Rider purposly locks out the screen while underway to keep people from trying input commands, this is an awesome feature. I use it mainly to take me to the center of old towns & to lead us to the hotel. Great tool.

GPS - even the basic TomTom One which I have had over 2 years is easy to use and though made for a car works "ok" on the Sporty. Yes, I had to add a 12V cigar/acc plug, find an "alternative" mount and case, the speaker "out back" is hard to hear at times, the display washes out in bright sunlight, it does the deed and does it well.

Yes, an $800 unit made for the bike would be nice, but certainly the basic features, ease of use over others, auto dim at night, free upgrades, reasonable accuracy (make sure you get the EXACT destination address) it is a bargain (got mine on closeout for less than $100) and a great value. Just remember this the first time it gets you out of a jam when you "thought you were lost, or "Big Ben" *gongs* and it finds a gas station when your running on fumes.

Just looking up some info one what size (or if I need) a fuse when I'm running my TomTom GPS to the accessory plugs in the fairing of myElectraGlide.
I haven't checked to see if the accessory switch is fused yet. If not, is the 7.5A fuse going to protect the GPS?
Thanks for any help.

I have a TomTom Rider wired in on my Ultra. On my 5000 km ride last week it started to turn on and off and sometimes charged off the wiring. Have others had this problem and solved it. I am back to charging it overnite and having it discharge after 4 hours.

I have a TomTom Rider wired in on my Ultra. On my 5000 km ride last week it started to turn on and off and sometimes charged off the wiring. Have others had this problem and solved it. I am back to charging it overnite and having it discharge after 4 hours.

Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere.

I recently purchased the Zumo 660 for my Street Glide. It is waterproof and is made specifically for Harley's. It is both bluetooth and cellphone compatable. I also purchased the fairing mount kit. It is wonderful! I live in Dallas and just returned from a 14 day 5600 mile trip to Canada via Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. It made the trip much more manageable. I had access to the closest fuel, food and hotels at the touch of my fingertips at all times. It came in handy when I picked a nail in my back tire. I just punched the harley logo in the tools menu and it told me I was 37 miles from the Calispell Montana HD dealership I then punched the telephone number on the screen and it synched with my phone and dialed the dealership. I set up an appointment to have the tire replaced. I then pluged the tire and followed the directions to the dealership. I also use it in my car when i am not on the bike.

Re: Thoughts On Portable GPS's?T

I bought the Zumo 760 last January. I use it in both cars and on the bike. In fact, I had it on the bike today. Only turned it on to find a gas station and a place to eat. A GPS is more than just an electronic map. Mine has Bluetooth,
spoken street names, and a SD memory card to load music files on. I used it in June to find restaurants in New Hampshire, Myrtle Beach to find the Harley dealer, in Charleston to find a sea food restaurant, and Nova Scotia to find the closest Harley dealer.
You can pre-plan a route on your computer and then up load it to the Zumo.

Although it's not labeled 'water proof' I've never had a problem with it in light rain. Maybe because it's pretty protected by the windshield. Anything harder, I just put a zip lock bag over it.

By the way, here's a little tip that I learned on a GPS forum..
Don't enter your actual address for the 'home' address. Use a local business.
This assumes that you could find your way home from a couple of blocks away from your house. LOL
Actually, the reason for this is: If you lose your GPS (or it's stolen) the person just punches in 'home' and now knows exactly where your bike, car, and home are.

Back