free website stats program Thoughts On Portable GPS's? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thoughts On Portable GPS's?

There is always the gazatters from Rand McNally. Detailed maps of a state. that and a compass will usually do the trick. Don't really like gizmo on the bars. Too distracting. As Hobbit wrote, just look at the map and remember the route.

I have used TomTom 720 very successfully in the past, and will certainly use it on my new Ultra. The "better models" of TomTom generally revolve around the map offerings but...

The best feature and one of the reasons I went with the 720 is that it will then integrate with the audio system very easily. Big deal?? Well, on it's own - no, but I love listening to my ipod as well. Problem with ipod is trying to add any control to it while riding. I know you shouldn't really do this, but sometimes while highway cruising you may want to skip a track or pause. Well, the better model TomToms allow you to control the ipod via the screen with nice big buttons that can be easily accessed with gloves on. Works a treat

I see everyone has a Garmin or TomTom. Anybody use a Magellan? I Just ordered the Magellan Maestro from Newegg.com Hope I Like It!:D

Bottem line with me is to ride and not have to worry about looking at a device that is distracting. I would much rather enjoy the landscape. However,
I do have a GPS that I carry with me (in my pocket) when I am going far from home and not sure of territory. It is a GARMIN QUEST that is older technology but very exact. It has a 20 hour battery life and is suited for marine, terrain, and road travel. Its waterproof and fits in the palm of your hand. It can be mounted on your handlebar and run from an external power source. It works great when I feel lost or unsure about my direction. I stop take a break, pull it out of my pocket, turn it on and WA! LA! I know where I am and can adjust my direction.. Simple and SAFE. I hope this helps.... Oh YEA!! You can get them for practically nothing $80 to $100 American.

Ride safe and keep your eys on the road.

You might want to take a look at a factory refurbished Garmin Street Pilot ... maybe a 2720, or a 2610. Both are waterproof and work well on a motorcycle. They can be had for under $200 and you can preprogram routes on your computer then download the routes to the GPS. I have the 2720 and it works great.

This is what I want most out of my gps, anyone know if the zumo 550 or tom tom has this feature as I don't always want the quickest route.

That Garmin quest sounds nice too without breaking the bank.

We are taking an 11 day trip this May from N.H. to the dragons tail in N.C./TN and so will be in totally unknown territory with the wife behind me on her own bike. I was thinking of getting the Zumo 550 but not sure I want to spend that much money.

So far the features I like most are pre-programming my route ahead of time and just have it tell me when to turn (as streets are not always marked), I also like that when I want to know where a Gas station or hotel is I can hit a button and it will show me the 5 or so nearest. Waterproof is nice but I guess not totally necessary. By the way what are the warranties on these things? Sounds like the ones made specifically for bikes are the way to go with vibrations and all.

Thanks

This is what I want most out of my gps, anyone know if the zumo 550 or tom tom has this feature as I don't always want the quickest route.

That Garmin quest sounds nice too without breaking the bank.

We are taking an 11 day trip this May from N.H. to the dragons tail in N.C./TN and so will be in totally unknown territory with the wife behind me on her own bike. I was thinking of getting the Zumo 550 but not sure I want to spend that much money.

So far the features I like most are pre-programming my route ahead of time and just have it tell me when to turn (as streets are not always marked), I also like that when I want to know where a Gas station or hotel is I can hit a button and it will show me the 5 or so nearest. Waterproof is nice but I guess not totally necessary. By the way what are the warranties on these things? Sounds like the ones made specifically for bikes are the way to go with vibrations and all.

Thanks

I have the Zumo 550 with XM radio and love it. It has everything you need for the bike or car, along with all the features you're wanting.

One thing though, shop around on the web, prices vary hundreds of dollars for the same unit. I saw a refurb one for over $700 a few days ago but that was high, since I have seen brand new ones around $500.
:42:

I have the Zumo 550 and XM radio as well. It not only lets you preprogram your routes, but also keeps track of your gas consumption, reminds you when you are getting low, and lets you easily search for nearby gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc. With the bluetooth connection to your cell phone, you can even call ahead to make reservations or whatever. I wouldn't be without it for trips. It comes with a motorcycle mount as well as a car mount and can easily be switched between the two. HD is selling a branded version, but the non-HD version is virtually the same and is much cheaper. They're coming out with a Zumo 650 soon, so the 550's will probably come down in price.

The 660 doesn't have the XM radio capability though and it's a great feature to have on long trips.

Good point. I just recently added the XM and I agree it is a nice feature. Otherwise, you can't listen to FM or CD and have the navigation prompts interrupt the music. I was afraid XM was going belly up, but it looks like they are going to be okay now.

Hey Rich, I stuck a Garmin 250 suction cup mount to the gas door of my classic. Plugged it into the lighter outlet, and left the cord coiled up around the ignition switch.
It never moved on a 3600mile trip. Also, I could see it just fine...now hearing it was another matter.
Point being, it is very useable, so don't write it off too quick.

Back