free website stats program Thoughts on oil change - Take it in or Do it yourself? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thoughts on oil change - Take it in or Do it yourself?

I changed over from the fossil oil the dealership put in at the first service to Mobil 1 V twin 20/50 last weekend. Weather has been a bit foul so didn't get a chance to ride the Sporty properly until today. No leaks or problems other than when I hit the start up button and holding in the clutch with the neutral light on - for a split second the engine starts to die and the warning lights on the speedo come on:52:. This is literally for a split second and I've given the throttle a little twist and then it's fine.
Just wondering why this happens - never did before I did the oil change. Is it some air trapped in the oil system? I did bleed some of the Mobil out at the end to try to eliminate trapped air. Once I'm off and running, she's sweet and she idles at traffic lights without problems.

Thanks for any suggestions guys.

I had the dealer do the 1000 mile - I figured they would do all of the checks (maybe maybe not...). If you want something other than HD fluids you can ask if they will install what you supply.

The fluid changes are pretty easy - everything you need to know is here on the site. I've done the changes since the 1000 mile. The biggest issue is getting the oil filter off without making a mess... There are a number of suggestions on the site but I'm still trying to find the one that I can get to work :D

i would do it yourself. this site will help if you come across any road blocks. when you do your own work it gives you a chance to see how things work etc. oh and sometimes how they break. I had a dealer do some work on my ultra( I cant remember what time because i did not notice it) and they broke one of the little tabs on the inside of the side cover. they never mentioned it to me and it rubbed a mark in the saddlebag and the side cover that will not come out. looking at the bike you will never notice it but it kindof makes me mad. if they would have told me I would not have cared much because you cant tell. but I needed to adjust the saddlebag away from the side cover so it does not rub any more.

I changed over from the fossil oil the dealership put in at the first service to Mobil 1 V twin 20/50 last weekend. Weather has been a bit foul so didn't get a chance to ride the Sporty properly until today. No leaks or problems other than when I hit the start up button and holding in the clutch with the neutral light on - for a split second the engine starts to die and the warning lights on the speedo come on:52:. This is literally for a split second and I've given the throttle a little twist and then it's fine.
Just wondering why this happens - never did before I did the oil change. Is it some air trapped in the oil system? I did bleed some of the Mobil out at the end to try to eliminate trapped air. Once I'm off and running, she's sweet and she idles at traffic lights without problems.

Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Any thoughts on this one guys? I hadn't mentioned that this happens just as I put it into 1st - NOT when I start the engine up as the above may have read.

Thanks.

Aside from trapped air which I have never seen , it may be a problem with the neutral switch acting up IMO. Just a shot in the dark here.

Free or not, I would not let the Dealership do it. They will likely put in the stock Dino oil (which is pretty good for a Dino oil). If you ask them, they will "up-grade" you to SYN3 (for a price!). This is a Group 3 oil, not a full synthetic. Since you are fully capable of doing your own work, I suggest getting a premium quality FULL synthetic (Group 4) 20W50 vTwin oil to use in your engine. But do use the HD filter specified for your bike.

Check the Self-help pages in the oil section.
TQ

I agree with TQ here. they don't offer the best lubes available and that's worth the effort to DIY.

will have a look when i come down - any codes thrown ?

Aside from trapped air which I have never seen , it may be a problem with the neutral switch acting up IMO. Just a shot in the dark here.

Thanks fellas.

Nope - no codes thrown. Literally, she just starts to conk out when I put her into 1st, but a little throttle and she's sweet. Don't know why - just put the V twin 20/50 in with a new HD filter. Removed the drain plug and let a little run out in case of air, checked for any leaks - none, just went by the book so I'm not sure of cause. She's riding well and a bit cooler too which I think you'd expect with the full syn.

Only ridden for one day following the change so I'll see how it goes when I get back home and get her out again.

Thanks Glider and thanks Hobbit - we'll have a look when we meet up if it doesn't run the risk of boring your good lady to death!!!:D:D

Any thoughts on this one guys? I hadn't mentioned that this happens just as I put it into 1st - NOT when I start the engine up as the above may have read.

Thanks.

Did you change your Primary also at the same time? What Brand of Primary are you running.

Back