free website stats program Thoughts on Extended Service Warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

Thoughts on Extended Service Warranty

BuffaloBill

Good morning all
I just recieved a notice regarding my factory warranty saying it's time for renewal on my 09 FLHRC How many of you would reccomend extanding the Factory Service plan .Getting older 62+ Use the bike as a daily commuter to work 50 miles a day. Bike has 14K, Purchashed the bike new in 9/2010 (traded in my 09 Ultra)
Any comments advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ride Safe
Bil

My thoughts...Although the mileage is not high, you did mention that you use the bike as work transportation, so if you can't handle doing the maintenance or doing repairs if necessary, then it sounds like you may be a candidate for the warranty.

Myself I have never gotten a extended warrty on anything and as yet have had great success. Though peace of mind is priceless. My 2008 with 25,000 miles, and the only out of warranty expense has been both fairing brackets. Though calling MOCO they covers repaired so the only cost tome was the tip I gave to service manager. Remember that with most extended warrty plans, you will already be counted for 2 years, for the start date is the date of purchase of bike and not policy...

Here's the bottom line - no company would offer these extended warranties if they weren't big money makers for THEM. This fact is undeniable when you consider all warranties sold lumped together into one huge database.

Now, on an individual basis, there are countless stories and even posts on this forum about riders who've saved tons of $$$ having a major repair covered by an extended warranty. Luckily for the warranty companies, these are vastly offset by the many riders who bought coverage and never used it.

You have to decide for yourself where you stand on this issue. On the one hand, if you lack the skills or tools to perform the required maintenance, both scheduled and fixing things that break, and you're simply looking for peace of mind, then the extended warranty may be the right choice for you. On the other hand, if you like doing mechanical work and do have the time, tools, and skills to keep up with your bike's requirements, then it might be better to save the money and skip purchasing the warranty.

Obviously, if funds are not a big issue, then the warranty is the way to go. And as has been previously mentioned, if your bike is your primary transportation and you can't afford a lot of down time, then it might make sense also. Just remember, dealers can take a frustratingly long time to fix things, even under warranty.

Allow me one more rant and I'll be done. I simply love it when someone posts, "I got it fixed under my extended warranty and it didn't cost me anything!" How quickly they forget the thousands of dollars they spent purchasing that warranty!

I know I probably didn't give you the clear answer you were looking for but those are my opinions to help you make your choice.

Good Dr., spot on as usual....:newsmile071::small3d011:
Oh and I could not agree more...:s

+1 on the extended warranty, my thoughts are it's cheap insurance for those of us that use it as a daily driver.

+1 on the extended warranty, my thoughts are it's cheap insurance for those of us that use it as a daily driver.

If you check it out, it ain't cheap. when we bought our motorhome, they offered extended warrenty for the appliances in the home. I didnot get it, but they called later and talked the wife into signing up. this cost $500 bucks a year, but they would add it to your payment so it didn't sound so bad. a monthly payment doesn't sound so bad, $42 bucks per month vs. $500 one time payment. If we sold the MH, the warrenty could be transfered, yea right. found out the buyer had to cough up $250 bucks to have it transfered. we never used the warrenty, the same as most folks. JMHO, they are a waste of good money The Dr. was right on

Last edited by a moderator:
And one more view on the subject. All of the extended warranties you purchased (tv, lawn mower, string trimmer, etc, etc.) and didn't use, need to be added in when considering how much you might not have to pay if you use one.

I did purchace the extended warranty when I bought my bike, 2008 FLHTCU, as I was very ignorant about motorcycle maintenance and such. I have had a couple of repairs done under the extended warranty, front wheel bearings and associated damage and an inner shifter shaft seal leakage, dealer thought it was an inner primary leak. I figure I'm a almost, not quite, even on my particular situation, but, if/when I decide to buy another ride, I'm not so sure that I would do the extended warranty again unless it was thrown in on the deal, as I'm a little wiser and have found a couple of indepentent ex Harley mechanics that are alot less expensive on their labor and are quality mechanics. I have also learned to do many things on my ride and can save some of the expense doing my own maintenace in order to maybe offset the cost of some of the unforseen things that could come along. It is a toss up either way with the odds not in your favor and this is the only extended warranty that I have ever purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, the decision depends on how much and where you ride. For me it was a no brainer - I got the ESP. The wife and I are subject to take off on any Thursday afternoon or Friday morning and not come home till Sunday evening. We also do a yearly 2 week vacation on the bike.

I just feel better knowing that if I am out in the middle of Timbuktoo some place and something happens to the bike, all I have to do is make a phone call. JMO

Back