free website stats program thoughts on big and tall guys on sporty's | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

thoughts on big and tall guys on sporty's

Who cares, if you enjoy it - go for it. Life's too short to be concerned about what others think. I've been told that I'm too small (1.73m, 69kg) for my UC but I've been riding bikes for over 30 years and don't give a hoot.

I get the same sort of thing, Phatch. Although, they usually say something like 'your riding a guy's bike' or when I'm standing alone by it, guys usually ask where my boyfriend/husband is -- it's quite fun to say, she's All MY ride :) (and I rebuilt her top and bottom ends, myself!) :D

It truely is -- Whatever you are happy with, at least we ride :cheers !!

CatWoman ::rider

In '71 I had a 650 Triumph. Thought it was so cool. But, our buddy had a 1200 Sportster. He was (by memory) 6' 4" at least and 220 to 240. We'd get in the ditch about 1:00am a ride em like ya stole. He was so cool. He'd leave me in his rear view mirror every time. Harley has many models to choose from. Big or small, it's a Harley and your riding. Now you can look at it another way. I lost alot of weight 10 years ago (they never found out why) I was 210 now 155. I"m 5' 10". I own a 700lb Fatbob. Is the bike to big for me. Heck no. Do I look a little small on it. Yea, (my daught took a picture). But both feet are flat on the ground. As long as you can handle it, ride it. If I'm feeling good she's looking good. Safe riding on that sporty.

my old sporty gets scary on scarified pavement lol . fl's 'glide' right over it tho ;-) hardly even notice the grooves are there
Posted via Mobile Device

Ihave a friend thats 6foot 2 and about 260 he looks like magilla gorilla on his even with forward controls but he loves it . I ride with him all the time and every time I look over at him he has this big grin on his face I guess that says it all

If you like it ride it dont worry what others think

Last edited by a moderator:
I think HD is really missing the boat when it comes to tall riders. At every bike night I ride into I see many riders who look too big on their bikes. I am 6' 3" and look eye to eye with half of the HD Riders in attendance. The TALL rider has NOWHERE to go, while the small rider can pick from ANY model he/she chooses. Can you imagine an inexpensive Sporty for a big guy with a stretched frame and plenty of leg room?? That would open a whole NEW avenue of big guys who just can't afford "The Big Bucks'. How about just a "TALLBOY" model, we have the FATBOY, which buy the way is too small for any "Tall Guy". I can only dream of walking into the HD Dealer and throwing a leg over and not feel the "Ape on Tricycle" feeling in my gut. The American population is GROWING, it's time for our bikes to grow too! Or at Least ONE MODEL for the "Over Six Foot Gang", please comment, maybe we can get through to these guys. Moose

Moose, HD already DOES build a Sportster model for the taller and/or bigger rider!
It's called a DYNA! :D

Actually, I have a Wide Glide now and I can say it is much more comfortable than the Ultra. I had no where to go with my legs on the Ultra because of the lowers. After fifty miles my back was toast, and that was supposed to be a "Long Haul" Bike. I did like the fairing though................ Moose

i am 6'2"and 240.but i just love my 98 sporty.just wanted to know what everyone thought:small3d012::small3d012::small3d012: about big guys on sportsters 883 or the 1200..do people really talk behind r backs or am i just thinkin stupid?

Who Cares. It's Your Bike.
Big, Small, it doesn't matter.
IT IS YOUR (EDIT) BIKE..... LET THEM TALK.... LIKE I SAID WHO CARES

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Price difference has alot to do with it Im sure, but sporties are still a fun ride. if you enjoy it thats all that matters, I love riding sportsters myself

Hey Stang,

Personally I think it's all about your style of riding and there is no bad choice depending on how you use the machine.

I'm about your size and would love to pick up a heritage SFT one day for long rides. I've been riding since '63 and had all kinds of bikes, but back in the 60's sportsters were the king of the hill for performance bikes before the rice burning superbikes hit in the 70's. So I've been a big sporty fan since my first '66 CH and was building strokers back then.

I'm on my third sporty now ('07 1200L) with reworked heads, cams and SE intake/exhaust and am real happy with the machine's performance and do some serious riding (just under 20K miles in three years). You need to get a decent seat though (lots of discussion here on that) that suits your height and butt size. Personally, I prefer mid controls having grown up with them and have never been able to adjust to forwards so chose a Low. However you do give up about 30% of the suspension travel which is important for heavy guys and 2-up riding so keep that in mind.

And yes, I know all about the dyna and softail guys snickering about sporties being chick bikes and all. That is until you ask them to take a little ride and you've lost them right away in first gear at 60 mph/7K rpm (modified) and they are working that six speed well into third a good ways behind you just as you start working second and lose them in the twisties.

I will confess though that I my age and condition, the bike does go on the trailer if I make a long trek like out to the mountains to Deals Gap. But it's usually appreciated by the folks I ride with as they can all load their stuff in the back my rig and ride light. Also, someone invariably has a breakdown or drops a machine riding the Tail, so having space on the trailer for the way back has come in handy.

So please be proud of the sporty. They have a long tradition at H-D and have set more records (including the close relative KR) than any other H-D model ever built. The dyna would never have happened if the glider folks in the 60's and early 70's didn't ended up chopping their bikes to make them look and perform more like CH's.

Back