free website stats program Thinking about a Softail Heritage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thinking about a Softail Heritage

I just traded a 2020 Heritage for a 2021 bagger.I had the blacked out one,with the bigger mill.They are really worlds apart.The weight ,the feel.You will find they have different trannies.You can wind a bagger without it getting buzzy.A Heritage ,in my humble opinion,ain't for haulin at 80 mph all day.A bagger,is.You may never ride like that,so,wouldn't matter, they are the best lookin.Especially since the Deluxe is gone.If you want a smoother more solid ride,the bagger wins.Ridin both is the way to go.

Bagger = any touring model.

If the OP has been taking what he describes as "really long trips" on the Yamaha, the Heritage shoud be more comfortable than the Yammer. The OP could be better advised if we knew what "really long trips" were. I have owned both, softail and touring and have made 500 mile days on both. A little less tired at the end of the day on thr bagger but the softail doesn't have a wind screen. Six speed tranny in my '05 Deuce and cruising at 75-80 is not buzzy like it is with a five speed.

A Heritage with wind screen and saddle bags is a suitable cruiser, if later model equiped with a six speed tranny. However, a softail will never be quite as comfortable for long haul touring as a touring model. My choice of those would be the Street Glide.

I know this thread is aging but I recenlty had a conversation with a good friend about the M8 and current models. He and I were not fans of the M8 when it cam out in 2016. Many of us that have been riding Twin Cams since they came out did not want to be Beta testers; a process the MoCo used when the Twin Cam was introduce. It has taken the MoCo five years to get a handle on the transference of transmission fluid to the primary and some are still having issues but rare now with the factory and after market options.

Long story short, my friend recently purchased a 2022 Road Glide and absolutely loves it. We both own and ride '02 FLHTs, both have seen many modifications over the years, both performance and cosmetic. The bikes have been stripped down to look like Street Glides, not Electra Glides. He still has his '02 and has put about 3K miles on the new M8 but will probably let the '02 go once he has made the modifications to the M8 to "fit" the bike to him. He will replace exhaust, intake, add cams, tuner and dyno tune and replace bars and make a few more cosmetic/ergonomic changes as well.

So, I started looking at the current touring line and noticed the addition of new "ST" models and if I was the OP, who does a lot of touring, I would be looking at the Lowrider ST as well. Closti in price, about $8K cheaper than the Road Glide, full frame mounted fairing like the Road Glide instead of a wind screen, 117" motor vs the 114", similar luggage capacity with the option for a tour pack and just an all around better suited for touring choice IMHO. It has gottan my attention.;)

Last edited:
I have to admit that the Low Rider ST has gotten my attention. I am two months removed from a serious back surgery. However, my doctor tells me that if I really hit the physical therapy (which I will do), I can be back on my bike by April. I plan to test ride one of these new models soon thereafter.

Thank you for your insights.

I have to admit that the Low Rider ST has gotten my attention. I am two months removed from a serious back surgery. However, my doctor tells me that if I really hit the physical therapy (which I will do), I can be back on my bike by April. I plan to test ride one of these new models soon thereafter.

Thank you for your insights.

Good luck with your recovery!!!! I am 15 weeks into reconstructive surgery on my right thumb, and 11 weeks into a recovery of having my knee scoped while I was down with the thumb. No sense in putting myself down twice. :) LOL, but I am ahead of the recovery schedule on the thumb, and probably par for the course on the knee. But, I did set my knee back a couple of weeks with a slip on the ice 3 weeks in. Nothing major, but a bit of a set back non-the less.

Let us know what you think of the test ride!

I am an old (70 years old) ex-football jock. I have rehabbed from 4 knee surgeries, a rotator cuff surgery, a torn elbow tendon surgery, and two back surgeries. Either fortunately or unfortunately, I know how to attack physical therapy. And getting back on a bike is my motivation!

Back