free website stats program Thinking about a 2010 Ultra Classic. too small? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thinking about a 2010 Ultra Classic. too small?

Pack backrest and Grab Strap? I hope not.

They are not needed. The strap fits just fine and the backrest has slightly different stitching which no one will even notice. Don't waste your money.

I'm 5'9" and was pretty short for the stock UC. I had to go w/ the reach seat w/ backrest and HD touring pullback bars to get real comfy. I did sit on two 2010 Ultra's, one w/ the new seat and one w/ the old seat and the newer seat is pretty nice, I really liked it. I don't think it gets you as far forward as the Reach and it is a little wider in the crotch area. One good thing about HD, if it don't fit you, they do make something that will make it fit.

I'm 5'11" tall and have a 29" inseam. I can handle my 05 Goldwing, my 09 Road Glide, and my friend's 08 UC without too many problems. However, I am very conscious of where and how I park the Road Glide and the UC because I don't have the luxury of reverse.

I also found that the Sundowner seat actually lowered me slightly more on the Road Glide than the reach seat. Other good suggestions here are to lower the suspension and to get a customized seat.

I am 5'5" with a 28" inseam on a good day and just took delivery of my new Ultra last Friday. Had them install front and rear lowering kit plus Reach seat before it ever left the dealer. Still wish I could get it about 1" lower. I can touch ground firmly with the balls of both feet, not much different than other bikes I have had but the Ultra is much heavier. About 150# more than the LC1500 I have ridden for the past 11 years.

Almost dropped mine in an unlevel section my yard the day after I got it. Moving slowly hit a hole in the yard and the bars went full lock to the left. I was not expecting or ready for this and it took everything I had to keep it from going down.

I will get used to her but my two biggest complaints are the passenger floorboards hit me right in the calves when trying to balance during a slow move or starting off. That and I have to lean her over to the right past center a good bit to get the stand up.

I have a set of Baron's mounts on the way for the floorboards to raise them since the wife is shorter than me and the dealer is going to look at the stand to see if a wedge plate will solve my other issue.

Other than that......I love this bike and I have owned many since I started riding over 40 years ago.

How about having the dealer install Street Glide rear air shocks? They are an inch shorter than standard.

I agree, 5'9" is at the point of no return. In general riding in traffic or the open road is no problem. The balance of the 2010 is outstanding and makes the 853 pound bike handle like a dream. The problem is backing it in somewhere. I have already learned a few tricks to help with this problem. The best one is when in dought, get off and put your hip in the seat as some else here has said. I road a VTX 1800 and the handling of the Harley is so much nicer I would never give up my Ultra. If you are asking if you are to short for this bike you already know the answer; your are...

Well, I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. I have an '09 Ultra. I had the bike lowered front and back with the HD kits, pull back bars and a backrest. I did this because when I rode the bike for the first time with a passenger and luggage (correctly loaded per the manual), I dropped it from a dead stop.

I had a little side load when I stopped and the bike began to lean over. By the time I got my right foot flat on the ground the CG was too high, I could not physically hold it up and down we went. No damage except to my pride. Really discouraging as I never had a problem with my previous bike, an '07 RK.

Besides these mods I also got a good pair of Milwaukee motorcycle boots with a thick sole. Just did a major cross country (Sturgis and back) riding on gravel, dirt, and grass with no problems. I am going to look at this new low seat.

Point is this is a wonderful machine and there are ways to make it fit you!

I'm 5'4" tall had a 1984 and 1988 Electra Glide Classics, both had the stock seats and shocks and I could get both feet on the ground. The GW 1500 is a trike, I'm too short for that, 93 GW's are made for taller people, I have no problems with an 1800.
You can always change over to a 'Reach' seat, if you don't feel comfortable.

I am 5'8 29 inseam I lowered both front and back. Before you spend $$ on different seats I had my stock seat cut down and quality foam installed. Made all the difference in the world, Have made several long trips no problems. I was told by several shops not to lower more than 1 1/2 inches in the back. You don't want control problems. As for stopping don't turn into a short turn I always stop as straight as possible The bike is heavy and once it starts over get out from under it. It's better bent parts than broken bones. Good Luck with your new UC

Hey guys.
I currently own an 09 nightrain and am thinking of getting a touring bike. I'm loving the UC. Not sure Im tall enough though. I'm 5'3 at 125lbs. I've been riding for 20 years. I've ridden a 03 goldwing and handled it fine. Reverse helped. ;) what do you guys think. I'm keeping my softale. But I'm wanting a touring bike. And the UC has stolen my heart.
WAP.gif

You can add reverse to the UC. I added a Champion Reverse Kit to my 09 UC and then reinstalled it on my new FLHTK.

tn421s3.jpg

Products

Back