free website stats program Thinking about a 2010 Ultra Classic. too small? | Harley Davidson Forums

Thinking about a 2010 Ultra Classic. too small?

rcwheelman

Hey guys.
I currently own an 09 nightrain and am thinking of getting a touring bike. I'm loving the UC. Not sure Im tall enough though. I'm 5'3 at 125lbs. I've been riding for 20 years. I've ridden a 03 goldwing and handled it fine. Reverse helped. ;) what do you guys think. I'm keeping my softale. But I'm wanting a touring bike. And the UC has stolen my heart.
WAP.gif

If you did not have any problems with the 03 Wing then you shouldn't have any problems at all with the UC.

you could ride it fine,the problem would be touching the ground flat footed.THE 09&10 MODELS sit higher than previous years.If you buy a10 model make sure it was built after 01-18-2010 they changed the seat so they sit 1/2'' lower.You can put shorter shocks on it and get a different seat to lower you down if you need too

I am 5'9" and am right on the edge of being too short for my 09 Ultra. I will eventually have to change the seat or lower it. At 5'3" I would not recommend an ultra. Even if you modify it, you will still be struggling and the handling issues you will create will take away from the bike. I would find a decent dealer and have them help you fit a bike. I love my Ultra, but if I was even an inch shorter it would be a problem. I seen here a Softail Deluxe someone put a fairing on. Not a touring bike but I would rather have a bike that fit then one that does not. Remember, the newer Ultras have wider seats that make it even more difficult for us shorter people.:( Good Luck!

I'm 5'10" and sometimes it is a struggle to handle my 2010 Ultra when backing into a parking spot or parking on a slight angle. I have a 31" inseam and have bought the new low seat and still have problems at times. Hope this helps.

I'm 5'10" and sometimes it is a struggle to handle my 2010 Ultra when backing into a parking spot or parking on a slight angle. I have a 31" inseam and have bought the new low seat and still have problems at times. Hope this helps.

Do you have the newer seat that lowers you? I am very interested in it. I never knew it existed.

Have them put a "reach" seat on it, then try it. You can have them lower it with different front springs and 12" rear shocks too...of course it won't ride like an Ultra....more like a StreetGlide.

Thorns

Mean city cycles is another option for ya.They can do a bunch with a stock seat.Google them and read some of their stuff .They claim to be able to do a 3.5 inch drop,plus narrow the seat which makes it even lower.AND make it fit better.

I am 5'5" with a 28" inseam on a good day and just took delivery of my new Ultra last Friday. Had them install front and rear lowering kit plus Reach seat before it ever left the dealer. Still wish I could get it about 1" lower. I can touch ground firmly with the balls of both feet, not much different than other bikes I have had but the Ultra is much heavier. About 150# more than the LC1500 I have ridden for the past 11 years.

Almost dropped mine in an unlevel section my yard the day after I got it. Moving slowly hit a hole in the yard and the bars went full lock to the left. I was not expecting or ready for this and it took everything I had to keep it from going down.

I will get used to her but my two biggest complaints are the passenger floorboards hit me right in the calves when trying to balance during a slow move or starting off. That and I have to lean her over to the right past center a good bit to get the stand up.

I have a set of Baron's mounts on the way for the floorboards to raise them since the wife is shorter than me and the dealer is going to look at the stand to see if a wedge plate will solve my other issue.

Other than that......I love this bike and I have owned many since I started riding over 40 years ago.

Thanks for all the good input guys. I think I'm going to sit on a few at the dealer and feel them out. The lowing of the front and rear sounds good. But I think ill contact the seat Guy first and see where I'm at. The biggest problem on any big bike for me is the width of the seat. If I can narrow and lower, and memory foam it. I think that will bring my feet considerably lower to the ground.

Thanks again
WAP.gif

Back