free website stats program The phantom shift | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

The phantom shift

Just a stab at it here but, if the shift spring that returns the shifter to center position were broke and the "rumble strips" or shaking of the abs could cause it to shift. Having said that the broken spring would be obvious I would think.

Bodeen

Once a HD tranny is shifted into a gear, take your pick, the shifter dogs and clutches if in good condition would not pop out of gear by themselves IMO, it would take physical action to do this I E moving the shifter:s

... coming up on some rumble strips at a stop light, I remember pulling in the clutch as I was decelerating and it was almost like a combination of the bumps along with the braking process ... - doesn't do it all the time. Really weird problem - thanks :D

Another possibility??
…when during NORMAL braking, the bike drops over a pronounced crack or edge in the pavement, in such a way that the rear tire is momentarily airborne, the ABS senses this as a rear wheel lockup event. Rather than simply limit braking to the rear wheel, the ABS system momentarily releases FRONT brake pressure in order to limit the time the rear tire is in the air.

By glider and Dangerdan: 08 ABS And Modifications - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Finally got out to do some testing today. I must be getting more heavy on the rear brake than I realized or should be doing for that fact, but when I go heavy on the rear brake to simulate a panic or quick stop maneuver, I get this "click " that I can feel being transmitted through the rear brake lever and onto my foot as its on the brake pedal. I also "feel" that slight change of momentum I commented on on my initial post, which is like that slight surge you feel when you shift a gear accidentally without using the clutch. I must have mistakenly thought that clicking that I was feeling thru the brake lever, was something going on with the transmission. Not sure how I put those two together, but doing some testing when I was paying attention, this is what I'm getting.

Now I've never had a bike with ABS, can I assume this clicking that I can definitely hear and feel, is normal behaviour on an ABS system?

I must be stabbing at the rear brake pedal when I have to get on the brakes quickly, and I know the rear is not where you get maximum braking power and that this is not proper braking technique. Definitely need to work on that.

Finally got out to do some testing today. I must be getting more heavy on the rear brake than I realized or should be doing for that fact, but when I go heavy on the rear brake to simulate a panic or quick stop maneuver, I get this "click " that I can feel being transmitted through the rear brake lever and onto my foot as its on the brake pedal. I also "feel" that slight change of momentum I commented on on my initial post, which is like that slight surge you feel when you shift a gear accidentally without using the clutch. I must have mistakenly thought that clicking that I was feeling thru the brake lever, was something going on with the transmission. Not sure how I put those two together, but doing some testing when I was paying attention, this is what I'm getting.

Now I've never had a bike with ABS, can I assume this clicking that I can definitely hear and feel, is normal behaviour on an ABS system?

I must be stabbing at the rear brake pedal when I have to get on the brakes quickly, and I know the rear is not where you get maximum braking power and that this is not proper braking technique. Definitely need to work on that.

Yes, the clicking is the ABS activating and I can understand why you felt it was the transmission, kind of lurches you a little, like lugging.

Same as in a car, when the wheel sensors see the wheel slowing to fast, they rapidly brake and release to help prevent loosing traction. If you "stab" at the brakes this can also cause it to happen. There was also an ABS computer upgrade that was available for my bike maybe one for yours also?

ABS Upgrade - Harley Davidson Community

Merry Christmas :newsmile018:

My '08SG does this as posted in previous thread. Glad to hear you figured it out and that's how we all learn on this forum. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

You guys are 'da bomb! I'm feeling better now lol

Appreciate the heads-up on the ABS service bulletin - I'll definitely put that on the checklist for my next visit to the dealer.

Take care gentlemen, and appreciate everyone's assistance -

Back