free website stats program The phantom shift | Harley Davidson Forums

The phantom shift

trvlr

After seeing the length of this post when I finished it up, I will buy anyone who gets to the end a beer first chance I get :p

Looking for some feedback on a transmission "oddity" I have going on on my bike. This is on my 08 e'glide ultra and its done this maybe 6 times over the course of the last 9mo's since I've had it. Did it again today.

I'm having trouble really locking onto the exact conditions that this occurs on, but seems when I have to do some aggressive braking, that it acts like its jumping a gear on me. And its not me doing the shifting and it's like shifting a gear without using the clutch. Happened to me again today dealing with the cager lunatics in and around Tampa.

The first couple times it did it I thought I must be hitting the heel shifter accidentally so I took that off months ago, as never used that heel shift lever anyways. The time it did it before removing that lever, I was coming up on some rumble strips at a stop light, I remember pulling in the clutch as I was decelerating and it was almost like a combination of the bumps along with the braking process made it shift. That's when I removed the heel shift lever.

I've not been able to find anything that parallels my particular situation. Glider had a posting on diagnosing transmission problems but didn't see anything that looked like what I'm dealing with. I was curious if installing the SE compensator would have any impact on this issue, but apparently not as it did it again today.

Anyone ever run across anything like this? I'm pretty certain at this point that its not me accidentally hitting the shift lever. Again seems to be a combination of pulling in the clutch and braking - doesn't do it all the time. Really weird problem - thanks :D

After seeing the length of this post when I finished it up, I will buy anyone who gets to the end a beer first chance I get :p

Looking for some feedback on a transmission "oddity" I have going on on my bike. This is on my 08 e'glide ultra and its done this maybe 6 times over the course of the last 9mo's since I've had it. Did it again today.

I'm having trouble really locking onto the exact conditions that this occurs on, but seems when I have to do some aggressive braking, that it acts like its jumping a gear on me. And its not me doing the shifting and it's like shifting a gear without using the clutch. Happened to me again today dealing with the cager lunatics in and around Tampa.

The first couple times it did it I thought I must be hitting the heel shifter accidentally so I took that off months ago, as never used that heel shift lever anyways. The time it did it before removing that lever, I was coming up on some rumble strips at a stop light, I remember pulling in the clutch as I was decelerating and it was almost like a combination of the bumps along with the braking process made it shift. That's when I removed the heel shift lever.

I've not been able to find anything that parallels my particular situation. Glider had a posting on diagnosing transmission problems but didn't see anything that looked like what I'm dealing with. I was curious if installing the SE compensator would have any impact on this issue, but apparently not as it did it again today.

Anyone ever run across anything like this? I'm pretty certain at this point that its not me accidentally hitting the shift lever. Again seems to be a combination of pulling in the clutch and braking - doesn't do it all the time. Really weird problem - thanks :D

Do you have any warranty left? I would have a tech ride it I have seen cage trannys jump out of gear but never seen this on a Harley Strange

Unfortunately warranty ran out in August and I didn't re-up on that. Liking the sound of that new HD ESP plan already :laugh

I am probably WAY off base here, but do you have ABS? The rear brake pedal feels like it is chattering during agressive braking. Just a thought.

Does it actually change gears? If so Up or Down?

BTW, I drink pretty muck anything :cheers

This is a long shot, but do you have ABS. I have an '08 SG with ABS and several time in the past when braking hard it sounds like shifting but it's the parallel of the ABS and rear brake making the abrupt racket. If you tranny definately switched to a different gear on you, that's another story for the guru's. Look forward to the resolution on this one.
Oh, the SE compensator sprocket is the bomb, huh!

I am probably WAY off base here, but do you have ABS? The rear brake pedal feels like it is chattering during agressive braking. Just a thought.

Does it actually change gears? If so Up or Down?

BTW, I drink pretty muck anything :cheers

WOW! Would you reading my mind!

If it is the abs can you pull the fuse to disable it then try to duplicate the problem? Just thinking here, and does the ABS light come on when this happens?

Yes, do have ABS on this scoot..and this is my first with that feature as well. Its done this so infrequently that I really don't have a good handle on it at this point, but it gives that "feel" of having just moved a gear. Kinda hard to explain but its like you can feel a change in momentum, aside and different from the braking action. It feels like it had just shifted without use of the clutch.

May be something with the ABS. I really don't know. I think I'll do some testing and see if I can't replicate the problem. I've never known if it actually did move a gear on me, as wasn't paying attention to what gear I was running in when it happened.

Gentlemen, I owe you guys some brewski's lol

If it is the abs can you pull the fuse to disable it then try to duplicate the problem? Just thinking here, and does the ABS light come on when this happens?

Honestly I've not noticed if the ABS lights comes on or not Jack. But I'll make note of that next time it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, do have ABS on this scoot..and this is my first with that feature as well. Its done this so infrequently that I really don't have a good handle on it at this point, but it gives that "feel" of having just moved a gear. Kinda hard to explain but its like you can feel a change in momentum, aside and different from the braking action. It feels like it had just shifted without use of the clutch.

May be something with the ABS. I really don't know. I think I'll do some testing and see if I can't replicate the problem. I've never known if it actually did move a gear on me, as wasn't paying attention to what gear I was running in when it happened.

Gentlemen, I owe you guys some brewski's lol

Ill take a coke, still recovering:s

Back