free website stats program The nightmare ~ front end ~ endplay . . . | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The nightmare ~ front end ~ endplay . . .

It almost sounds like you have the parts for the front and rear mixed up since you have both wheels off ?

I agree. Having an extra .500" of end play is not something that will just appear from installing new bearings. Shims don't come in sizes that big. Sounds like you have the wrong spacer (#84) between the bearings. That would mean the rear bearings are being crushed if you swapped spaces by accident.

This Frontend Thing Has Really Got My ROLLIN'

FONT="Courier New"]Hey R_W_B

I sure you and the other guys can I.D. with me when it comes to:

Hey this thing I'll put together its SIMPLY as wiping your nose or thee other part of you body :small3d031: "WRONG"

It seemed so SIMPLY I can't believe I'm having a NIGHTMARE with this front wheel let alone trying to hook-up my rear wheel :newsmile026:

Well thank GOD the my m/c mechanic is coming over the hse tonight and he'll see if he can mount the front & maybe the rear. If NOT he's coming over with a trailer, and he'll bring it to the SHOP.

To Be Continued ~ Film @ 11 :)

Personelly, I think he screwed-up on the SHIMS somewhere along the line.
But that's only my Newbie appinion.

Wow all this is interesting. With my luck, not looking forward to someday pulling my front wheel.

Schooner let us know how or what it was, once you get it resolved.

Hi Scooner
As Dr.Evil says, my point was to see if the internal spacer is correct length without having the other spacers etc confusing the picture. That's why this is best performed with the wheel off, and only minimum parts on the axle (preferably also done with dry bearings).
Your bike is different from mine, as you also have some internal shims etc. Regardless, from your description it sounds like your mech has set up your bearing free play to .006 which is probably ok.

But, looking at your latest pictures I note one important difference from mine:
Your RHS is ok - there's really not much going on there. The axle is stepped resting against your spacer (speedo pickup), and the position is fixed.

The LHS of your axle however also has a step, and your spacer is larger ID than your fork leg axle bore.
This could mean that IF the LHS spacer is too slim (swapped with the rear, as suggested?) the LHS fork leg will tighten up against this step leaving free play for the wheel. That's got to be it.

Let us know how this goes - inquiring minds want to know...

I have never seen the speedo cable on the same side as the brake disc...try putting speedo on oposite side?

I have never seen the speedo cable on the same side as the brake disc...try putting speedo on oposite side?

The speedo drive unit has a tab that fits in a slot on the brake disc on my three evo bikes and the tab is what turns the speedo drive unit so on mine has to be on the brake disc side

Brian

Horay ! Horay! Victory on the front wheel . . .

Hey Guys (It Worked ):bigsmiley12:

THANKS -2 - ALL YOU GREAT GUYS.

Awoke this morning with that darn front wheel on my small mind AGAIN.
" . . . how in the world am I going to get it on right and spinning ?

Then I heard a voice or thought that said, " . . . Daha Schooner there's one crazy thing you didn't try YET. And that was what one of you guys posted; " . . DID YOU TRY " SWITCHING THE SPACER " take the two that on my back wheel and switch 'em to THE FRONT WHEEL."

YES SIR BOYS :small3d026: ITS SPINNING LIKE A FRONT WHEEL SHOULD.
THANKS SO MUCH GUYS.

Check-out the attachment: all torque-up. That GAP on the lower end of the fork is O.K. I got the bolt torque by specs and that's the way it is.
Got an old photo the that gap and it looks just the same.

P.S. Guys guess who's HAVING TROUBLE PUTTING HIS REAR WHEEL BACK :newsmile026: More photos on How Too with your help ONLY.

More to come film @ 11 . . .

[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hi Scooner
As Dr.Evil says, my point was to see if the internal spacer is correct length without having the other spacers etc confusing the picture. That's why this is best performed with the wheel off, and only minimum parts on the axle (preferably also done with dry bearings).
Your bike is different from mine, as you also have some internal shims etc. Regardless, from your description it sounds like your mech has set up your bearing free play to .006 which is probably ok.

But, looking at your latest pictures I note one important difference from mine:
Your RHS is ok - there's really not much going on there. The axle is stepped resting against your spacer (speedo pickup), and the position is fixed.

The LHS of your axle however also has a step, and your spacer is larger ID than your fork leg axle bore.
This could mean that IF the LHS spacer is too slim (swapped with the rear, as suggested?) the LHS fork leg will tighten up against this step leaving free play for the wheel. That's got to be it.

Let us know how this goes - inquiring minds want to know...

Attachments

• LEFT SPACER IS GOOD.jpg
    LEFT SPACER IS GOOD.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 19
  • RIGHT SPACER IS GOOD.jpg
    RIGHT SPACER IS GOOD.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 1A RIGHT SPACER YES.jpg
    1A RIGHT SPACER YES.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1B LEFT SPACE GOOD.jpg
    1B LEFT SPACE GOOD.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 16
Glad you got it solved schooner. I am the worlds worst at that, so I have to label everything with masking tape.

I Sent You A Private Message R_W_B

Hey Guy

I like that idea about masking everything and you can see from all my postings I like PICTURES.

I gots SEE ALL MY MISTAKES . . . LOL

That's what my Harley use to look like. You got to see it when I put all
the newly custom painted parts back together on the bike.

I must say for an ol' fart like me I'm going to look pretty cool ride down the highway.
GOD is good :small3d028:

Glad you got it solved schooner. I am the worlds worst at that, so I have to label everything with masking tape.

Attachments

• MY 1985 HARLEY.jpg
    MY 1985 HARLEY.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16
Hi Schooner
That's a sweet looking classic ride you've got there!

I'm glad it worked out, and now you should feel bad for luring us into using our brains - never a good thing, heh, heh

Back