free website stats program That made me think.. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

That made me think..

Hi....Im not realy uncomfortable with riding at all . ..... .. .. ... ...... ...
I am geting to see and do all kinds of new and fun stuff like, ... ... ... ...
people almost running into the back of me. ... . .... ... ... ...

Oh here is one thing that makes me mad, you got someone in frunt of you going 45 in a 55 and you set out to pass them and you look over and thay are still next to you and your going 70 and a car is coming.
.. . .. .. .. .
but Im going to keep doing it anyway..:p .. .. . .. .. .

I knew you couldn't let that Fat Boy go. It's way too cool a looking bike, you are hooked. You were just sharing the way you felt when a cager encroached on your space. It is personally more insulting for that to happen on 2 wheels than in a cage.

And even though it's dangerously unforgiveable, those folks in the car speeding along side of you might have been just trying to get a good look at your bike. Just think for a minute... you are driving along in your cage thinking about how boring life is and all of a sudden this fantastic looking Fat Boy with really neat pipes comes roaring past you. It's gut instinct to speed up long enough to get a good look. Maybe even get the wife to snap a pic. LOL.

And that almost running into the back of you. When I was in riders school, they taught us never to take the bike out of gear at a stop and always check your mirrors (when stopped) for folks not stopping. I'm guilty of putting my bike in neutral on long stops, but it does make sense to watch those mirrors and be ready.

I really like the way Porter summed everything up. That is getting pretty near a perfect summation of the scenario.

Riding makes me think about being alive. Period. That means ALL of it. The good and the bad. There perfect days and the close calls. EVEN if you decide to hang it up, I still say riding got you to think about what you are doing with the time you have, rather then going along like a zombie. I don't think of it in terms of winning or losing. If you stopped riding because you just had a child,for example, that is a great thing. You are then still thinking about living, just in a different way.
....Im the only child in this household..:p...I realy like your thinking about living...Thanks

I knew you couldn't let that Fat Boy go. It's way too cool a looking bike, you are hooked. You were just sharing the way you felt when a cager encroached on your space. It is personally more insulting for that to happen on 2 wheels than in a cage.

And even though it's dangerously unforgiveable, those folks in the car speeding along side of you might have been just trying to get a good look at your bike. Just think for a minute... you are driving along in your cage thinking about how boring life is and all of a sudden this fantastic looking Fat Boy with really neat pipes comes roaring past you. It's gut instinct to speed up long enough to get a good look. Maybe even get the wife to snap a pic. LOL.

And that almost running into the back of you. When I was in riders school, they taught us never to take the bike out of gear at a stop and always check your mirrors (when stopped) for folks not stopping. I'm guilty of putting my bike in neutral on long stops, but it does make sense to watch those mirrors and be ready.

I really like the way Porter summed everything up. That is getting pretty near a perfect summation of the scenario.

Hi bud....Thats what was going on ,,she was taking a pic..:newsmile100:..Now thats a good way of looking at it....Thanks :)..I do leave it in gear and always look in my mirriors.....Its saved me this spring..:)..I have picked up a lot of good tips on here and I do a pretty good job riding my bike but thair is no replaceing experience.....Oh ...Mabe it was me she was looking at..:)

I've had three such incidents in as many months, but at this time they have not changed my love of riding. I just try to keep watch as best I can. Each one of have to make the decision to ride or not to ride.

Well it's possible being the cool dude that you are. But you'd have to be cooler than Arnold Schwarzenegger to steal eyes off that Fat Boy. LOL

When did Arnold become cool??? Fonzie was cool. Travolta in Welcome Back Kotter or Pulp Fiction was cool. Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda in Easy Rider were cool. But Conan or the Terminator??? Not cool. jmho. :p

When did Arnold become cool??? Fonzie was cool. Travolta in Welcome Back Kotter or Pulp Fiction was cool. Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda in Easy Rider were cool. But Conan or the Terminator??? Not cool. jmho. :p

Well I think he was pretty cool in all the Terminator and Alien movies, especially riden that Fat Boy back in the mid 90's.

Fonzie was cool in the 70's as was Travolta in Kotter. But I think Arnold out did them all, jmho. Besides anyone who can come over here from Austria, start out with nothin, end up winning the All time Body Building awards for several years running, then go on to make a string of movies and then become Govenor of California. Yea that's pretty cool to me.

Hi MAt 60 its good you have the oppertunity to discuss your thoughts after a close call. A few weeks ago I and a friend had the day from (EDIT), while on a poker run I got clipped by a car getting of the hwy and merging with traffic. For some reason I didnt go down, I was so happy tears were running down my leg. Later on the way home I watched my friend go down at 70 on the HWY due to the death wobbles (his wife on a bike behind me). On the way home from the emergency room at 2am I was so twitchy I wasnt sure if I could make it home. It made me question if it was worth it, the feeling, the freedom, the friends, the perfect ride. The next day I woke up angry because circumstance made me question the worth of some thing I love doing. I got back on the bike that morning to spit in the face of fear because thats who I am. If you dont get back on you will always question if it was the right choice. After visiting my friend and his wife a few times I asked them if they were going to ride again or sell the bikes. We have plans to ride as soon as he can. Its a choice and you have to do, whats best for you. Do you live in fear and never take another chance or do you enjoy life. A life without joy is like being dead anyway. Hope you continue to ride if not find another hobby that can give you the same freedom.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not read all of the replys but You said a "4 lane road in the left lane with a jeep on my right and clear road ahead and all of a sudden someone started to turn left into my path...." sound to be the fool turning left didn't see the Jeep also, so what makes you think he would see you in a truck?

There you go, you just found the answer.

"I was kind of wondering yesterday if riding a bike is a very smart thing to do and what I came up with is NO.....but I'm going to keep doing it anyway.."

You do the smart things because you have to and so you are able to do the things that are not smart, but so much fun. :D

Back