free website stats program TFI install- very happy | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI install- very happy

OK, TFI installed. The only problems were finding a place for the module, and routing the injector wires and plugs under the tank. Lifting the tank did not grant the greatest amount of access to the injector plugs, but I did get the off and on.

She fired right up once the installation was complete. I had it set to all pots to minimum, except main rpm switchpoint. That one needed to be reduced by 1000 rpm, since it was set at the factory to switch at 5000 rpm. I adjjusted it down to 4000, and all is cool there now.

I have not put my DIY SE airbox on yet, so I have Hooker tuned flow slip-ons (set for torque). I want to see what more fuel does as is first. I did not tune the TFI, just set it to basic, all stock, suggested setting.

Popping is reduced but still there...I guess Hookers just pop, or so I've experience and heard. Apparently, tlhere was some minor surging at 2000 rpm or less, which I did not notice until it was gone, which it definitely is, now. Pinging when rolling on from lower rpm is now gone as well. Also gone, is the harsh note from the exhaust. She sounds a bit deeper and thoatier, with that brash higher frequency content. She seems to run quieter when riding in a more normal manner. Oil temp has dropped significantly as well. I can't quantify the temp change yet, since I need a bit more riding time for that.

She appears to have picked up significant torque, and just accelerates real nice...a significant inprovement. All this without the SE airbox with K&N high-flow filter, which is going on in a few days.

I am very satisfied already. Good investment. Thanks for the recommendation, gents.

Enjoy,
Rich P

OK, TFI installed. The only problems were finding a place for the module, and routing the injector wires and plugs under the tank. Lifting the tank did not grant the greatest amount of access to the injector plugs, but I did get them off and on.

She fired right up once the installation was complete. I had it set to all pots to minimum, except main rpm switchpoint. That one needed to be reduced by 1000 rpm, since it was set at the factory to switch at 5000 rpm. I adjjusted it down to 4000, and all is cool there now.

I have not put my DIY SE airbox on yet, so I have Hooker tuned flow slip-ons (set for torque). I want to see what more fuel does, as is, first. I did not tune the TFI, just set it to basic, all stock, suggested setting.

Popping is reduced but still there...I guess Hookers just pop, or so I've experienced and heard. Apparently, there was some minor surging at 2000 rpm or less, which I did not notice until it was gone, which it definitely is, now. Pinging when rolling on from lower rpm is now gone as well. Also gone, is the harsh note from the exhaust. She sounds a bit deeper and thoatier, without that brash higher frequency content. She seems to run quieter when riding in a more normal manner. Oil temp has dropped significantly as well. I can't quantify the temp change yet, since I need a bit more riding time for that.

She appears to have picked up significant torque, and just accelerates real nice...a significant inprovement. All this without the SE airbox with K&N high-flow filter, which is going on in a few days.

I am very satisfied already. Good investment. Thanks for the recommendation, gents.

Enjoy,
Rich P
OK. I couldn't take it anymore, and installed the SE airbox. This is the smoothest upgrade yet. Just bolted right on and go. I'm glad I did the "buy it in parts" method, since the chrome backplate looks great and I have the K&N filter. Anyway, she did not like the suggested TFI settings for "no downloads, and free flowing airbox and pipes" (kind of wimpy and pinging was back). She wanted more of all 3 settings, but especially the yellow. Now she runs the way she always should have (like a striped ape). My gas mileage is going to go way down. Not because of the tuner, but because of the performance. She just makes it fun to twist the throttle.

I wonder how she will feel with the Andrews 26N cams (coming next).

By the way, she seems to to have dropped significant temperature with the oil cooler and stage-1 (with TFI). She was running 260+deg. Way too high for my comfort, especially here in Tucson, before the heat of summer. Now she is running around 220deg. I think that is just about where she belongs. My guess is 20 deg for the cooler and 20 for the less lean mix.

Thanks for the suggestions gents.
Rich P

Rich i went from 260 ==225 w/ the addition of the jagg cooler sounds like u made a good improvement ....

Rich i went from 260 ==225 w/ the addition of the jagg cooler sounds like u made a good improvement ....

ultrat. I don't remember if you did a tfi? I thought a recent post said you said "saving up" If the tfi is not on yet, then the temp will cool a bunch when it is. signed....BUBBIE

Back