free website stats program TFI Inop. After Install | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI Inop. After Install

Iceman24

I sold my TFI (1252ST) to another member & wanted to know if anything could affect the device from shipping..?? He sent me a message indicating it was installed on his 08 Touring, but won't power (no lights) & bike doesn't start. I'm wondering if something went awry in transport (XRay..??) that would cause the unit to fail???

I believe he should be calling Dobeck Tech Support today for help...hope it's something little/easy...

I sold mine and shipped it across the country.No problems that I heard of.
Just a thought,maybe he hooked it up to the positive terminal instead of negative.

That's what I was thinking, but waiting to hear back fm him via. e-mail. I know it sounds funny connecting these to the "ground" vs. "power" & he said he was an electrical engineer so I'd think, if you followed install instructions, it should work. It was functioning fine on my 09 touring when I removed & I had main fuse pulled + tank off bike so noting was powered during removal...

The TFI (at least mine) pulls the B+ off the injector intersect, so all that's left if the gound ring.

Hope he hasn't knicked a wire or something in the install.

Most definitely & I even questioned the connection(s) after I read the e-mail so looked @ instructions (online) to verify it was correct (injector plugs + "ground") & I sent instructions w/tuner so it was 100% like getting from Dobeck. That's the only thing I can think of...will see what happens & will update when I hear back. Hope, if it was accidentally connected to battery+, it didn't "fry" the board...!?!

I want to make sure (1) the tuner works, (2) it was installed correct & (3) the new owner is happy. If the device is DOA - I want to make it right..!!

That is the problem with buying use electrical devices. If problems occur who is to blame? Who would take responsibility for fault? Was it already damaged or did the fault happen during installation? If you buy from vendor, they will take responsibility most of the time. Question: why was it sold in the first place??

. . . . Hope, if it was accidentally connected to battery+, it didn't "fry" the board...!?! . . . . .

Well Hoople can correct me if I err, but I don't see how connecting to the battery (either posts) could fry it. If he connected the ground link to the Pos+ terminal it just would not work because no complete circuit.

If he connected it to the negative terminal it should work, though it would be a more complicated install than the ground stud on the fender.

That is the problem with buying use electrical devices. If problems occur who is to blame? Who would take responsibility for fault? Was it already damaged or did the fault happen during installation? If you buy from vendor, they will take responsibility most of the time. Question: why was it sold in the first place??

I imagine from what I've come to know of Iceman he will make it right with the guy if it is in fact broke. When I sell something used I make sure it works when it leaves, and they pay shipping via PayPal. If it arrived broke then the carrier might need to be brought in on it. But in a worst case scenario I would refund them their purchase price and then I would decide if I wanted to pay to ship it back to me or just have them trash it.

I gave a used Cobra Tach away one time (she paid the cost of shipping). I never heard back on the install so I guess it worked, I know it worked when I shipped it.

turnerbend; FYI - it was functioning fine the day I removed and I don't believe it was damaged in transit. I upgraded tuners from TFI to GEN3 because I could no longer see the little "pots" (i.e. screws) because of my poor eyesight. The GEN3 has lights to use as tuning reference so I can actually have "visual" sense of where the different functions are set.

I did get another response from the new owner & Dobeck said 2008 bikes have "single" power lead to one injector so if he swaps injector connections it should work. Waiting to see if this did the fix...if not, I plan to credit him for the part to make it right so he "will" get refunded if it doesn't work. I'm not a person to say "as is" in a case like this...I was raised to be honest & fair...that's how I roll. :D

turnerbend; FYI - it was functioning fine the day I removed and I don't believe it was damaged in transit. I upgraded tuners from TFI to GEN3 because I could no longer see the little "pots" (i.e. screws) because of my poor eyesight. The GEN3 has lights to use as tuning reference so I can actually have "visual" sense of where the different functions are set.

I did get another response from the new owner & Dobeck said 2008 bikes have "single" power lead to one injector so if he swaps injector connections it should work. Waiting to see if this did the fix...if not, I plan to credit him for the part to make it right so he "will" get refunded if it doesn't work. I'm not a person to say "as is" in a case like this...I was raised to be honest & fair...that's how I roll. :D

I will agree with you.
My purchase from you was very straightforward and the product was exactly as you stated.You never would have had to mention the one small nick in the visor from your ring,but you did .

Back