free website stats program TFI died. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI died.

With the ground off, there is 1/2 as much likelihood that the TFI would do it, unless there is a short beween the injector line(s) and the injector supply lines(both feed directly through the TFI). Imagining the design (hardware-OR'd low-side drive), the likelyhood of a semiconductor short in that path is low. But, if there is a short, when the ECU pulls the injector low side drive down on teh shorted side, that could provide current to blow fuses. If that is true, and you can verify that by measuring for a short between the 2 pins at either end of the disconnected TFI lines for each side, I would think you have a great potential to have damaged the ECU injector drivers. They may work now, and quit on you at the worst possible moment, down the road.

If you do not measure a short in the TFI, via TFI injector lines, I suggest that before you button her back up all the way, that you inspect the backbone wiring harness for pinch places. Since you have recently been in there, that is where I would look.

Just a thought.

Enjoy,
Rich P

When I got the tank off I checked the wires in the trough and found nothing. I'll check the TFI when I remove it from the bike today.

I have been looking into this brand and several others. How long have you had it? And was it in a area that could get water on it? Do you feel like its worth replacing?,or will you move on to another product?

I don't have any experience with any other tuners but I would buy another Dobeck unit. Simple installation and ease of setup can't be beat. I had it for about 2 years and no problems.

I'm a little confused. I believe you traded your '08 in and now have an '11?
You said you have had the TFI for a couple of years, so that would be the one taken off the '08? Doebeck lists different part #'s for '08-'09 touring models than '10-'11's. Maybe that's why the TFI died? Or do you still have the '08 and I'm off again?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. I believe you traded your '08 in and now have an '11?
You said you have had the TFI for a couple of years, so that would be the one taken off the '08? Doebeck lists different part #'s for '08-'09 touring models than '10-'11's. Maybe that's why the TFI died? Or do you still have the '08 and I'm off again?

Sent you a PM.

Back