free website stats program TFI died. | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI died.

Redfish-Joe

First I would like to say thank you to all the members who has posted info on this site. Without the tips and info I have absorbed I would still be on the side of the road.

I used to work for Kraft foods as a Maintenance Mechanic and consider my self to have good mechanical and troubleshooting skills.

This threw me off this morning. Pulled up to a red light and the bike just quit. Tried to restart, spin but no start. Got it into a parking lot and scratched my head for a little. Turned it back on. No fuel pump noise. Well, blew the FP fuse.....nope. Checked a couple other fuses and all OK till I got to the ECM fuse. Blown...Went into the convenience store and got a pack. Pop the fuse in hit the switch....POP. blew the fuse....Great a bad ECM. Then I thought. TFI. Disconnected the ground from the battery, changed fuses, hit the switch...POP...another fuse gone.

OK getting worried now. I put the overlay harness in the other day for the CB. I thought I may have pinched a wire. Off came the tank and opened the wire trough. No pinched, cut or skinned wires...Looking like a bad ECM for sure. I had the tank off and easy access to the injectors so I completely took the TFI out of the system. Installed a new fuse, hit the switch, fuel pump ran no blown fuse!! Buttoned it all back up and was still able to make the club ride this morning.

Couldn't have done it with out you guys and gals!!! Thanks again!!

I had/have one -- when I was in myrtle beach in may ( 1430 miles from home ) mine went - got the bike got the bike going and headed home, got about 530 miles from home and the bike started acting up real bad -- got to a Harley dealer the first thing he asked me was if I had a tuner installed, and if I had been in the rain -( I hit a pretty good rain storm that morning ) they removed the tuner, squeezed it a little and the water ran out of it. Not to drag this on I called the company ( it was still under warranty) they said they would send me a new one -- told them I really wanted my money back, said they couldn't do that, so if anyone is interested in one ( brand new) pm me and I'll give you the details and a REALLY good price. I will say the bike ran great when it was working -- oh ya the woman at the company told me that I should not wash the bike so aggressively -- that really ticked me off

The reason I ask is how long have you had it? Is it under warranty? Do you plan on sending it back or contacting Chris? I ask the questions because I am close to buying one. Thanks for the info.

I have had it for a couple years. No problems with it till now. I will get another if this one cannot be repaired.

With the ground off, there is 1/2 as much likelihood that the TFI would do it, unless there is a short beween the injector line(s) and the injector supply lines(both feed directly through the TFI). Imagining the design (hardware-OR'd low-side drive), the likelyhood of a semiconductor short in that path is low. But, if there is a short, when the ECU pulls the injector low side drive down on teh shorted side, that could provide current to blow fuses. If that is true, and you can verify that by measuring for a short between the 2 pins at either end of the disconnected TFI lines for each side, I would think you have a great potential to have damaged the ECU injector drivers. They may work now, and quit on you at the worst possible moment, down the road.

If you do not measure a short in the TFI, via TFI injector lines, I suggest that before you button her back up all the way, that you inspect the backbone wiring harness for pinch places. Since you have recently been in there, that is where I would look.

Just a thought.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back