free website stats program TFI and Mustang Seats | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI and Mustang Seats

TFI is going to be my next major mod. Be interesting to see pictures of the final resting place you decide on.

Here's some install mounting pictures for a 2008 HD Touring bike we currently have in the shop. We prefer to mount it on the right hand side on the frame bar for easy access. Just have to remove the right rear cover to gain access. A lot of guys will just mount it right on top the ECU.

Attachments

• PICT5930.JPG
    PICT5930.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 68
  • PICT5933.JPG
    PICT5933.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 66
I have a 'million" questions regarding the TFI but that's another subject I'll take up with the boys from Dobeck directly.

I also have the same issue with mounting the TFI. There is very limited space to mount anything on the FLSTC, especially mine. I have another accessory under the seat that takes up all available space. I have the tail light/brake flasher/turn signal conversion kit there. The ECM on the FLSTC is mounted in a slight recess in the rear fender under the seat.

I agree with GroundHawg that space is truly "the final Frontier" when it comes to the Heritage. Essentially, there isn't any space. And the Heritage doesn't have side covers. We have oil tanks instead.

So where can we mount the TFI with the consideration that the device should be accessible for adjustments rather than hide it behind the fender panel? Not a very convenient location.

Bikergeek-

We're not really going to be able to dictate where to mount the controller for your bike considering the additional accessories you mention. We like Iceman24's suggestion of using a deck of cards to judge if you have a place for the fitment.

We have the smallest "piggy-back" EFI controller on the market and we did design it with space in mind so if our unit doesn't fit then nobody's will.

I finally got around to installing the Gen 3 controller. I was able to mount it under the seat. The unit is very thin - thinner then the support post on the bottom of the seat. Here are a couple of pictures of where I mounted it.

2011-05-01_16-24-13_854.jpg

2011-05-01_16-23-59_968.jpg

There are a few threads on installing the TFI/Gen3 on a Softail. In one it suggested that the clearance be checked - which was a great suggestion! I used some Play-Doh (they sell it in soft packs - around $1.50). The pic below shows the result with the Mustang seat. The cross section on the thinner one is around 1/8" at the thinest part. The front part had plenty of clearance. I also tried it with the stock seat - and there was no clearance on the back portion of the Gen3 so this mounting position won't work with the stock seat.

2011-05-04_18-57-25_286.jpg

I mounted mine under the seat behind the battery. Just be careful where you run the wires under the seat so they dont end up getting smashed.

Back