free website stats program Testing The Charging System | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing The Charging System

Re: Bad Reulator Or Not

I have been having this charging problem on my 1991 Fat Boy. I have a volt meter from Kuryakyn on my bike to show me if my charging system is working right. But in the last few days while ridding the meter would go all the way over in the red saying that there is a problem with the system, But it wont do this all the time. Will a Regulator do this sometimes good and some bad.? I have done all of the other testing that needed to be done and everything else checks fine, I had the meter in the red today and while it was there I checked the volts coming from the regulator to the breaker and it was putting out 19 volts, But then later when the meter was in the green again where it should run I tested the volts at the breaker again and it was 14 volts. So I would think that it is the regulator with a intermediate problem.

19 vots is too much, this will cook or blow the top off the battery, replace the regulator and make sure it is grounded

Re: Bad Reulator Or Not

19 vots is too much, this will cook or blow the top off the battery, replace the regulator and make sure it is grounded
Thanks for getting back to me so quick, I thought this was the problem so I did park the bike and ordered a new regulator, I was just asking the question to be sure that I did the right thing by replacing the regulator. Thanks again for your help.

I had a similar issue couple of years back with my 92 softail battery got cooked but a new regulator and battery got everything back to normal

Brian

The final test will be when I install the new regultor, But the battery has been on the trinckle charger for some time now.

Will do, I bought the regulator on line so it wont be here untill next week. But I will let you know how it goes when I am done.

Will do, I bought the regulator on line so it wont be here untill next week. But I will let you know how it goes when I am done.

Scrape the frame where the regulator mounts and use new exernal star washers for a good grond, smear some dilectric grease under the base of the regulator and on the mounting hardware this will insulate from heat and water, the regulator acts as a heat sink also when it is not in the charging mode, it shunts heat to the atmosphere

Back