free website stats program Tempting offer | Harley Davidson Forums

Tempting offer

dogdad

I was in my bank today and started to leave when an elderly man noticed my HD shirt, stopped me and asked if i worked at the HD dealership. I replied no,, but I know all the employees there and ride a HD bike. Well to cut thru the chase...he told me how his brothernlaw had passed away 2 weeks ago and has a 96 softtail sitting in the garage. It only has 2277 miles on it. The man only rode it to the country club there in his subdivision and back home. He hasn't contacted any dealer yet about selling it. So we exchanged phone #'s and I'll be driving there (local) to look at it. I don't know for sure what Softtail model it is,,but would like to get some feedback as what the bike might be worth. He mentioned it was stock, and a dark purple in color, almost black. He talked a figure of $7000.

Wow...this could be one of those "closet queen" finds of a lifetime. My dad always had the knack for locating gr8 deals on things - mostly at auctions & networking. Probably best to see what you discover during the visit to see the bike to get actual yr & model. Then you'll have ability to x-ref w/KBB. Keep us posted...

And sometimes you stumble into a carefully laid scam. Don't get too giddy; check the paperwork carefully (matching vin #'s, etc.

I hate to be cynical, but you know what they say about stuff "too good to be true". This might be a great deal, but I'm just say'n...keep your wits about you.

And sometimes you stumble into a carefully laid scam. Don't get too giddy; check the paperwork carefully (matching vin #'s, etc.

I hate to be cynical, but you know what they say about stuff "too good to be true". This might be a great deal, but I'm just say'n...keep your wits about you.

I hear you , but this guy is not that. He and his son own a oil field service company here. In fact he is getting me a piece of steel pipe and putting it on a lathe to work it to a size i can't find,,and he's not charging me. Banks at my bank. If it's like I think it will look,, I'll probably buy it. Can't be rough looking with that type of milage (162 miles a year) and garage kept. I just wonder if the gaskets and tires dry rotted. Also reminds me about a post here on HDtalking about the inside of the gas tank going bad.

All things being considered, be sure to check out the things mentioned including cylinder base gaskets on that evo engine. Fuel has a way of gumming things up so you can figure on spending some time and $$$ to get it running. Otherwise it sounds like an interesting bike.

Good luck and post some pics if you get it too.

$7 K for a '96 is a GREAT deal only if you just gotta have a low mileage '96. That's about what they go for on ebay (higher mileage for sure). Of course KBB retail is much higher, but tha'ts dealer retail numbers. JMO

Sounds like a great deal with that kind of mileage. Let us know what happens.

BTW - I just came across a dandy myself. My friends unle is getting divorced (wife left him after 37 years) and he sold everything. The only thing he hadn't sold was his 97 Fatboy. It had 40K on it but is an awesome bike. Anyway he sold it to me for $3,500.00 and I had to put $1,700.00 in it (it sat for two years). So there are "to good to be true" deals to be had out there....

This is on the same line , a friend of mine who had his own auto repair shop got a call from an old lady who's car wouldn't start and asked if he'd stop by her house and take a look at it . When he got there she took him out to her garage and told her she had a bad battery and replaced it . Beside her normal car was a ford model A in mint showroom condition , he asked her if she wanted to sell it so she said sure she'd take $800.00 for it , he paid her cash on the spot and then took her to hae bank to get the title ! Man her son was very upset with her for selling it and with him for buying it .

Back