free website stats program tell me what u think ?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

tell me what u think ??

If it were me, I'd buy something bigger (Dyna, Softail, Touring) used. Too many people (me included) jump on a Sportster because it's affordable, even new, and end up losing money upgrading to a different model very soon afterwards.
That's no lie! Hubby bought the XL883L in May of 2005, In March of 2006 we picked up the '06 Heritage Classic. Didn't take him a full year to figure out it wasn't the right bike for him. Now we are stuck with this Sporty that I had to learn how to ride so we could justify owning 2 bikes LOL. Turns out it's the perfect bike for me at 5'2" 120 lbs.( Well it was after changing the clutch,gas tankand seat and adding forward controls and a windshield):newsmile106:

I'm with Smitty. Short trips are one thing, long trips are another. You have to find what will suit over overall needs and comfort. Being 6'2" and 185 I found Sportsters' to be too small. Had to sit on every bike like 200 times before I decided. Winter is right around the corner and since I can't ride then (Chicago area winter's get nasty) I went to the dealer and burned holes in the seats of their bikes.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd buy something bigger (Dyna, Softail, Touring) used. Too many people (me included) jump on a Sportster because it's affordable, even new, and end up losing money upgrading to a different model very soon afterwards.

if you really want a bike take your time and find a good 90's dyna..... you can find a good dyna or a shovelhead for around 6500...... take your time!!!!!

I'm six foot tall and weigh a petite 215 lbs. I have a converted 883 to 1200 Sportster with Stage 1 exhaust and air filter. My girl friend is 160 lbs (at least). This thing will fly with both of us on it. And the one rotor brake system on the front is fine. I have mid controls because I have three different pegs for three different leg positions. I bought a sundowner seat ( which is nice) . This bike will be fine for you. Remember , the average Harley Rider does about 50 MPH .

Love my 08 1200C more and more each day. Only drawback is that I didn't know my wife would like riding as much as she does. It's cramped for more than short trips, and storage/carrying capacity is extremely limited. She's been on for prob 75% of the miles (excluding daily driver status back and forth to work every day). Over 2K miles in 10 weeks. If I would have known when I bought it, I would've opted up for a Dyna SuperGlide or a Heritage Softtail Clasic.

It will happily do over the 105-110 mph I've had it up to (I ran out of testosterone & testicles)---it will do much more.

As stated already, figure out what your riding needs/wants are before you buy. Just you or you & wife/girlfriend (better known as 2-up riding). Tracy

Yo:

Everyone is different. I suggest renting or test driving several bikes till you find the one YOU are comfortable with. Many Harley dealers will allow test rides on dedicated bikes if you have a bike license, and bring your own helmet, gloves, etc.

I used to have a Softail Heritage Classic which was great for riding interstate w/wife as passenger. But for solo riding, around town and short trips I prefer my Sportster Low.

I have mid-controls, sundowner seat (which I am sending off to Mean City Cycles for the Double Decker ultra soft stuffing installation). I've ridden with forward controls, and I just don't like them. Keep feeling like my feet with fall off the pegs. I prefer the buckhorn handle bars (installed a set on my Softail.)

I'm 5' 10" 200 lbs. Yet I know a girl that weighs like 130 lbs, is 5' 4" and traded her Sportster for a Softail Heritage Classic and she prefers the Heritage. Go figure.

Don't follow any formulas, find the bike YOU are happy with.

For what it's worth...

Last edited:
I'm 6' tall and weigh 215 lbs. and my 1200 is plenty. I'm a newbe too , and old. Everyone says bigger bike. Lay the puppy and try to get a bigger bike up again.

I'm 6' tall and weigh 215 lbs. and my 1200 is plenty. I'm a newbe too , and old. Everyone says bigger bike. Lay the puppy and try to get a bigger bike up again.

I am 5'11" 165 lbs.. My wife knocked my bike...2007 Fatboy over.. picked it up by myself... it's the technique. I have seen a woman pick up a big bike by herself.. it not that hard if you know how.

Im 6'1 240lb and ride an 883r with standard mid pegs.i find it a good riding position solo or two up.has a small sissy bar to stop the missus sliding off.Dont know what its like if you ride all day without stopping though..personally as i get older and drink around 2 gallons of coffee a day i tend to stop every couple of hours for a leak,when it gets down to zero my bladder seems to shrink to the size of a satsuma..part of getting old?answers on a postcard plz :D

Im 6'1 240lb and ride an 883r with standard mid pegs.i find it a good riding position solo or two up.has a small sissy bar to stop the missus sliding off.Dont know what its like if you ride all day without stopping though..personally as i get older and drink around 2 gallons of coffee a day i tend to stop every couple of hours for a leak,when it gets down to zero my bladder seems to shrink to the size of a satsuma..part of getting old?answers on a postcard plz :D
Do scenes from the movie Wild Hogs come to mind? On longer trips they do for me.:(

Back