free website stats program tank "rub" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

tank "rub"

has anyone used a clay bar for this sort of tank rub? or are those used for other purposes? how do those clay bars effect the clear coat?

Here's an Idea that works for me. 3M makes a product that's called clear guard which is easy to apply. After you get your tank looking it's best, simply apply this clear guard. I make a pattern out of paper then trace it on the back of the clear shield backing paper. Next you spray on water mixed with a couple of drops of baby shampoo. Separate the clear shield from the backing paper and apply it to your tank. Using a microfiber cloth squeegee from the center out. In a few days any water trapped under the clear shield evaporates and you have an undetectable shield on your tank which can be removed anytime in the future without damage. I've applied this on my tank, saddle bags, side covers and fairing. Bugs, rocks, tar etc don't stand a chance. Some companies make a pre-cut kit for your bike or go on E-Bay and buy a small roll.

I think clay bars are more for removing dirty/aging paint type issues..not sure they are really intended or work for scuff or rub type marks .... but havent tried it...although I do have a bar...

I was driven nuts by the same thing. A combination of 3m and HD swirl / scratch remover applied by hand got rid of the marks. I then applied a non-adhesive clear paint protector purchased from Aerostich. It took me a while to figure out the exact size / shape to fit, but it was worth it. I was a little scared of the 3M products that adhere to the surface - especially on new paint that might not be fully cured. The stuff I bought is held on with "static cling" only.

Clay bars only remove impurities - they do not remove scratches. They work great at what they do. Try one and then wax your paint. It will be so smooth you will not believe it. The amount of dirt that the clay pulls up from paint you thought was clean will amaze you.

I personally am scared to death of power buffers. I figure there is no surface on my bike too big to do by hand, but I would seriously lose it if I screwed it up. On a car - I'd probably give it a try.

After you get the marks off, use some 3M aircraft tape or heli tape to protect those areas. Works really well.

I think clay bars are more for removing dirty/aging paint type issues..not sure they are really intended or work for scuff or rub type marks .... but havent tried it...although I do have a bar...

has anyone used a clay bar for this sort of tank rub? or are those used for other purposes? how do those clay bars effect the clear coat?

Clay bars are as noted for removing stubborn grime, like baked on bugs or tar and works great for that application when used properly, just be careful as if you use it wrong you will create more scuffs. It can help to work out some paint transfer on car doors and stuff, but usually best of the tough grime.

Back