free website stats program Synthetic oils | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic oils

Theres a guy on here that just turned 100k on his ultra using h/d syn oil in all three holes, all original motor and trans. I think that says more then enough about the quality of the oil. Some oils [may] be better then others, its just a personal choice for you to make. Truth of the matter is, as long as you change the oil regularly, it really doesn't make too much of a difference which oil you are using.

The thing I have seen is the Tyranny shift forks getting HOT from the heat by using a Light Weight oil (syn3) instead of a Gear oil.
And NOISE

Another problem was noted on HDT member, Their clutch hanging up when using syn3 instead or Formal+ or a good Primary Wet clutch oil..

No debate Just MY Preference .....

signed....BUBBIE

I agree, its all about preference. What I use in mine, there are some that would tell you that I am making a big mistake. But, it works for me. After reading the post from a guy that just rolled 100k on an all original engine and trans using h/d syn3 in all holes, I think that says enough right there. Its your bike, do what you want with it, but it is obvious that what oil you use and where makes little difference other then make you feel good. As long as they are changed on a regular basis, thats all that matters.

My personal opionion is that the Syn3 in the primary should be fine until the next service replacement time. I think I would go ahead and drain out the Syn3 from the tranny and replace with Spectro Platinum or (my choice) Redline Shockproof Heavy. I was getting metal fuzz on my tranny drain plug with the Syn3, until I got wise and put in the Spectro. it shifted better, and no fuzz. Next service cycle, I tried the Redline. It was just a tad bit better.

I don't think its a "panic" situation for the tranny, just a good time to do the right thing.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I don't know...if the Syn is making metal, any at all, get it out. Because the its the metal that is not on magnet that scares me. I use RedLine Heavy Shockproof, taking the fill plug out and sticking a magnet down in there, I've never had any on it when removed. I haven't changed trans fluid yet to look at drain plug, but I'll bet its clean too.
wilks3
:USA

Last edited:
I'm w/Bubbie on the tranny & primary. Syn3's too light for the gears & slick for the clutch so if it was my bike - I'd be changing ASAP to GO (trans) & primary fluid.

Syn 3 would not be a choice at all for me in the Tranny, much better GEAR LUBES out there:s

After reading these posts I decided to just drain the syn3 out completely from both the primary and trans. No sense in waiting. I was able to get formula+ and spectro 6-speed at my local dealer today. I changed it out as soon as I got home. I trust what I get for info here so I'm sure I made the right choice.
WAP.gif

I just ordered some cases of Redline, only way I could get it and the price was right. Makes more sense for the way I ride to have something desinged to be in the hole not something that "works, says it right on the bottle."

After reading these posts I decided to just drain the syn3 out completely from both the primary and trans. No sense in waiting. I was able to get formula+ and spectro 6-speed at my local dealer today. I changed it out as soon as I got home. I trust what I get for info here so I'm sure I made the right choice.
WAP.gif

I think you made the right choice and will feel and hear it when you ride it:s

WAP.gif
Be sure to tell us what you notice with the newstuff in there, and be careful not to put too much in the primary, or it will shift a bit hard and make it hard to find neutral.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back