free website stats program Sun glasses after dark | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sun glasses after dark

I used to carry a clear pair of glasses for when it got dark, then I would just switch from the dark to the light. To be honest, it was getting to be a pain doing that switching. I wear glasses now, I never used to so I decided to go with the transition style glasses in prescription form. i went to Wal-Mart to buy them. Now I have to convenience of having a pair of glasses that let me see both day & night without the switching. Keep in mind that the transition type of glasses are not the best at blocking out the bright sun.

I stashed a clear pair of inexpensive safety glasses in the saddle bag. Sometimes getting home before dark just does not quite work out. It is better to be safe and protect your eyes.

Did it once - when I got caught out after dark (long story...). I ended up with my sun glasses down on my nose, looking over the top of them. I try to keep a pair of safety glasses in my the saddle bag now. I'd keep them in the windshield bag if I ever got around to getting one ;-)

I carry a pair of clear safety glasses in both the car & the bike for work. The WS bag definately makes it handy!!

I too have gone the safety glasses route. Having said that, I am looking for something different because the safety glasses throw a strange prism when oncoming headlights hit me just right. Maybe somebody will share there experience with what (brand) they are using. I refuse to spend big money on night riding glasses though.

Bodeen

Are you using clear lenses or something with a little tint? I have safety classes that have a slight yellow tint. I don't have any problems with clear.

Good point to bring up! I was caught a couple of times over the summer and had to wear sunglasses. (law in this state but good practice anyway) I meant to get a pair that go clear at night and dark in the sun but I forgot. This gives me something else to look for while the snow remains.

I wear the WileyX transition glasses. Work day and night. I am also a dealer for them and the transition lens glasses are my biggest seller.

I have a pair of glasses that have interchangeable lenses, which I keep the spares, both yellow and clear, in a small pouch. I bought them quite a few years ago, which means "I don't remember where" LOL.

I always carry a spare pare and a pair of clear glasses on the bike. Just eliminates the problem. I wind up being out longer than I plan on being out many times so Just got in the habit of carrying spares.

I wear yellow lens goggles over my eyeglasses, glare from headlights is way down, but can see easily even on a moonless night. Same goggles work okay in the daylight too, cutting down on reflective glare while "softening" harsh sunlight. I do however carry a spare set of convertable "Guard Dog" pair for long term daylight comfort in my windshield bag for long trips.

Do not want to use or recommend smoke, green or brown shades because they are just too dark. Also do not use polarized sunglasses, just tilt your head or hit light mid noon or twilight at just the right angle and you will not see oil slicks or tar snakes...very dangerous. I have used clear flip up face shield on my backup helmet, and it works fine...in bright sun I just use clip on or flipup sun shades at times for my perscription clear bi-focals, being myopically challenged. :bigsmiley6:

Last edited:
Back