free website stats program Stupid question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stupid question

Could this be a VOES problem when hot? I could be as simple as the hose from the VOES to the carb being shot and pinching down when hot.

The problem is actually when its cold. I have disconnected the VOES while idling and it did bog it down substantially and I replaced the hose at that time.

I have been following this thread for a wee while and re read again now your bike is stock air cleaner and exhaust system
The air box on my evo was designed to draw the air from under the exhaust crossover/balance pipe this was to ensure that hot air is drawn into the system
Depending on temperature and humidity the design of the system stretches the air as it is drawn through the system this stretching reduces the temperature of the air further chilling of the air occurs as it goes through the throat of the carb due to the shape of the throat
As the fuel vaporises it further reduces the air temperature and can reduce the temperature to below freezing
At this point the moisture in the air condenses against the warmer parts of the carb and the water from the condensation freezes on the jets usually the slow jet blocking it causing a lean condition and the coughs and spits back through the carb possibly also the bike backfires through the exhaust
Once the bike is fully warmed up there is enough heat being radiated by the engine and exhaust to keep the carb warm enough to prevent the ice from forming
Solution junk the cv carb and replace with a mikuni and fit a good air box and filter

Brian

Solution junk the cv carb and replace with a mikuni and fit a good air box and filter

Brian

Thought about that, but unfortunately I can't afford something like that right now.

I am going to see an old Harley Tech that knows his way around the evos and cv carbs. I will be taking my bike to him on wednesday.

Thank you everyone who helped on this.

Back