free website stats program Stupid question | Harley Davidson Forums

Stupid question

rgoot01

My bike when i first start it runs, well, not so good. It takes about five minutes or so riding for it to run great. Is this common for a carbed evo?

First on this forum there are no stupid questions. How long are you letting the bike warm up before you start riding. The rule of thumb is to let it warm up until the rear rocker box is warm to the touch.

when i warm up my 98 evo i follow the simple instructions given to me years ago by an old pro. let the engine warm up until you can't hold the front side of your fingers against the back cylinder. works great and never had a problem!!!

the evo is a great engine and will look after you for years as long as you look after her

welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride...:D

First on this forum there are no stupid questions. How long are you letting the bike warm up before you start riding. The rule of thumb is to let it warm up until the rear rocker box is warm to the touch.

What he said! Are you starting it with the enrichment pulled out? Does it run better or worse when pulled out? Is it backfiring and if so where from? Sounds kinda like intake gaskets......possibly

What he said! Are you starting it with the enrichment pulled out? Does it run better or worse when pulled out? Is it backfiring and if so where from? Sounds kinda like intake gaskets......possibly

I am starting it pulled out however I notice that even if I push it in all the way or half or whatever it doesn't make a difference. It does spit,sputter and cough even if I gently roll on the throttle,it's not a backfire on the exhaust but through the carb.

Maybe a good carb cleaning and rebuild is in order. Pretty simple to do and you can get a kit from J&P etc. You could always spray a little flammable product (WD40) around the intake gaskets while its running to see if they are leaking.

Maybe a good carb cleaning and rebuild is in order. Pretty simple to do and you can get a kit from J&P etc. You could always spray a little flammable product (WD40) around the intake gaskets while its running to see if they are leaking.

I had cleaned the carb and went through it thoroughly yet still have problem. Prehaps I'll get the wd or starting fluid out and check manifold gaskets.

I would not recommend using "starting fluid" for this check. WD40 or carb cleaner is less volatle. Has this always been a problem with this bike? Or did it start after a maintenance action happened?

Back