free website stats program Stripped Torx screw on Primary | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped Torx screw on Primary

Glad to hear you got the problem sorted. As been said many times, HD motorcycles use BOTH SAE & Metric fasteners and i.e. if you see what appears to be a phillips head #2 but has a round dimple next to the cross...it is METRIC (take a look at the front Showa fork oil drain screw). The impact driver phillips head is hardened and tighter fit and works (the handle by itself has plenty of leverage), but if you feel it is "camming out" STOP, and get the right fitting bit before proceeding. Save yourself a lot of grief.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/chassis_suspension_and_front_end/10500-frozen_fasteners.html

I used the drill method and it worked perfectly, screw came out by hand etc.

I was also using the #25 torx, #27 was not in the kit I purchased. Will most defiantly remedy that.

ACE Hardware carried a nice assortment of chrome bolts including button head, think I will try there first for replacement.

I used the drill method and it worked perfectly, screw came out by hand etc.

I was also using the #25 torx, #27 was not in the kit I purchased. Will most defiantly remedy that.

ACE Hardware carried a nice assortment of chrome bolts including button head, think I will try there first for replacement.

The local Tractor Supply stores carry stainless allen head cap screws as well.

I usually only torque a 1/4 bolt to 90in lb.

Go to Sears, they have a tool to remove screws. It is kind of like an easy out. I have used one several times, works like a champ. A lot easier than drilling.

normally the toex sxrews are 5/8 inch in length. put a drill stop on your drill bit so you don't go too gar in, hd mechanics use a hand held

goto ACE hardware store, they have chrome button head allen head screws
google ron hazelton screw removal tools

Back