free website stats program Stripped damper rod bolt...Help! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped damper rod bolt...Help!

Good Deal TripleJ those will work they look just like the Snap On ones and Irwin has been round a long time Remember Vise Grips Thats Them

Thanks for the link Jack. I have a Lowes right down the road. I can check with them tomorrow. I also have a Northern Tools in Miami, although its a bit of a drive, and a Harbor Freight about 15 mins away.

For the 6mm bolt, is the 1/8" spline extractor the size that I should be looking for? Also, what size drill bit should I be using to make the pilot hole in the head?

Thanks a million.

Thanks for the link Jack. I have a Lowes right down the road. I can check with them tomorrow. I also have a Northern Tools in Miami, although its a bit of a drive, and a Harbor Freight about 15 mins away.

For the 6mm bolt, is the 1/8" spline extractor the size that I should be looking for? Also, what size drill bit should I be using to make the pilot hole in the head?

Thanks a million.

I would have to look @ a drill and tap chart, The extractors should have the drill size stamped on them for extractor only if you have to drill and tap you will have to use a drill and tap chart, sounds kind of confusing but I bet you can google a drill chart , If u cant find one I will try for u

Just a thought. Could I just drill the head out of the bolt, pull the damper out from the other end and then remove the left over threads? Or would I not be able to access the threads at all?

Just a thought. Could I just drill the head out of the bolt, pull the damper out from the other end and then remove the left over threads? Or would I not be able to access the threads at all?

If it is a blind hole no, The threads end does that make sense?

Jack,
You are proving me right, we do have a Great Community!!
Thanks for always going the extra mile for the Community.
WAP.gif

Thank You Tank, while you may say you are just a librarian I am a humble member trying to help and learn a long the way, and if any one ever has any doubts as to this GREAT COMMUNITY, rest assured it just doesnt get any better than this, Capital Jack:D

If it is a blind hole no, The threads end does that make sense?

Not sure what you mean by that Jack, but if you say it can't be done, then I'll go with the extractor first. Sears seems like it has quite a few choices, including the Irwin set you were mentioning.

Not sure what you mean by that Jack, but if you say it can't be done, then I'll go with the extractor first. Sears seems like it has quite a few choices, including the Irwin set you were mentioning.

A blind hole means the threads dead end, kind of like a wall, so you cant see the threads on the other side, think of it like an exhaust manifold bolt how it dead ends in the head, does that make sense?

A blind hole means the threads dead end, kind of like a wall, so you cant see the threads on the other side, think of it like an exhaust manifold bolt how it dead ends in the head, does that make sense?

Thanks for the explanation Jack, got it. So if the head is drilled off, there's nothing on the end to grab from, and chances are, I won't be able to grab on to anything where the head popped off either. So then its new damper rod time.

Thanks for the explanation Jack, got it. So if the head is drilled off, there's nothing on the end to grab from, and chances are, I won't be able to grab on to anything where the head popped off either. So then its new damper rod time.

If you can drill thru the head and use the extractor you may get the bolt out, if not use the drill guide start small 1/8 and work up till you can retap the threads using the drill and tap chart and you will be good to go

Back