free website stats program Stripped damper rod bolt...Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped damper rod bolt...Help!

cmvsm

On my last tube tonight, and the 6mm hex bolt stripped. Any ideas on how to get this out would be appreciated! Thanks.

On my last tube tonight, and the 6mm hex bolt stripped. Any ideas on how to get this out would be appreciated! Thanks.

Drill thru the center and use a spline drive easy out

What Jack said, plus, If you can get a "left-handed" drill bit, sometimes the bit will bring out the broken bolt without having to use of an easy-out. They have been life savers for me, more then once.

Thanks Jack and Petie. Haven't used a spline drive before. Is this something I can get at Home Depot and do you have a link to what I might be looking for? The bolt didn't crack, so its still pretty tight in there.

Thanks Jack and Petie. Haven't used a spline drive before. Is this something I can get at Home Depot and do you have a link to what I might be looking for? The bolt didn't crack, so its still pretty tight in there.

I would check Lowes they carry Kobalt tools made by Snap On, the spline drive east outs look like a torx bit but they have more serrations and they bite reall good, and as Petie said may try a left hand drill bit also, if these dont work use a drill and tap gauge drill it and retap it, Good Luck, Capital Jack

Jack your post are spot on and give all the info anyone could need. Reminds me of a certain HD guru we all know.:bigsmiley28:

Thanks Don But I aint no Glider, Just Capital Jack, I have had my share of broken bolts and learned from the best, My Dad, Taught me early on how to remove broken and stripped fasteners, and even gave me my first set of Snap On spline drive extractors, and if I can help I am here for all, Thanks again Don:s

Back