free website stats program Street Bob-Howzit? | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Bob-Howzit?

jinglebob

Greetings to all. Pardon me if I sound ignorant...I'm new here and I'm not yet a Harley owner. I'm planning to upgrade to a larger bike...prefer air-cooled and belt drive, so the H-Ds naturally are something I've been looking at. Planned use is local rides, some Patriot Guard missions and an occasion interstate tour.

The $$$ for H-Ds is, frankly, a little intimidating. The FLHs are very nice and, I'm sure, worth the money, but that amount is a little pricey and I'd like to have a bike which still retains some handling when I'm not on the interstate...not knocking baggers, understand...:D

I was at the local H-D dealership today looking around and saw several new Street Bobs, FXDB. Sat down on one and was very impressed with the quality and ergonomics and appearance of the bike.

I'd like to know if anyone has one of these and, if so, if you've toured on it and how you've outfitted it. Any other information regarding reliability, comfort, handling, maintenance and other comments good or bad would be MOST welcome. I'd also like to know about engine temperature control...any problems with overheating...external oil coolers installed or other ways to control heat?

t'll be a little while until I can convince the in-house banker to suck it up and take out a loan for an H-D...she doesn't ride and doesn't want to, but is cool with me doing it....

Thanks in advance for all information you can provide...:majesty

J-Bob

Bob,

I have an '07 SuperGlide set up for touring, with 8,500 miles in eight months on her that includes a 10 day ride up the California coast and home to Phoenix over the mountains. While not the same model as you're looking at you might be interested in how I've set the bike up.

Harley detachable windshield - Good, but a bit tall for me (5' 9") as I look through the top inch of the shield.

Sundowner seat - No complaints. I've had Travelcade and Mustang seats on other bikes and this seat is fully comparable.

Harley low sissy bar, backrest pad, and 5 bar luggage rack - Good, and described as comfortable by various co-riders. I travel with a T-Bag and this setup works.

Harley adjustable highway peg mount kit for the rider and Harley passenger footpeg mounting kit, both with HD stock type pegs - Very good. I thought I would want forward controls but after riding with these for awhile I prefer the stock position with the option to stretch out.

Harley layback license plate holder and turn signal relocation kit - Improved the appearance of the bike and provided the necessary room for the bolt-on bags. I recommend doing this option as the bike just looks better.

Harley synthetic leather saddlebags - Not detachable, spacious, and easy to use.

Progressive front springs and 412 rear shocks - Good, but not an overwhelming improvement from stock.

Note that all these changes just approximated what a minimum stock tourer would have, without the bike actually being a tourer. The setup works and looks good, but it still a cruiser. The cost of these plus the bike is still less than that of a tourer or Heritage but these did add up quickly.

The comfort level is fine and I can ride all day. There is some back ache but it disappears quickly once off the bike. There is some vibration to contend with, more than I had with a Honda VTX set up similarly, but manageable. I kept the pipes, intake, injection, and other running gear stock; mileage is in the 44 range in town and 51+ on the road. I'm running Golden Spectro 20w-50 engine oil, Golden Spectro 6-speed transmission oil, and HD primary oil, and tier-1 91 octane fuel.

The Street Bob is a great looking bike but be sure you are comfortable with the riding position with the mini apes. If you are, a setup like mine should suffice. I'm leaving in a month for Denver and then New England, and home via the Blue Ridge Parkway, and probably in August a Phoenix to Seattle ride with camping along the way. I anticipate my Dyna will do just fine and I will be a bit tired and sore at the end of each long riding day.

Good luck, and PM me if you wish. I'll try to upload a photo.

Bill (Silver)

I have an '06 Street Bob. I just rode it 2000 miles from Phoenix to Edmonton Alberta Canada in 5 days. I put a quick detach windshield, saddlebags and a rear seat/rack luggage on her. It was great and very comfortable for my 6'2" body. I have forward controls on it which helped me. Still I would like 3" extended forward controls for a longer leg stretch.
Mostly I like my HD as a cruiser. I do however like to be able to hit the highway for long rides. That's why I opted for the Dyna. Buy the bike that fits your body and what you will use it for. If finances are the sticking point, buy the right bike for you USED. Less chance of losing a lot if you decide to trade her for a different model in the future.

mybobathome.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

21 inch Monaco front wheel

18 inch 180 wide Deuce rear wheel

drag bars

Cobra pipes

Kuryakin hypercharger

Custom HD mirrors, grips, pegs, signal visors and smoke lenses.

Greetings,

I have an 08 Street Bob and couldn't be happier. I had a sportster prior and I have to tell ya... The Street Bob out handles the Sportster and every other bike I've owned(This being only my second harley though). I would recommend it to anyone.

I ride it mostly inter-city(to work and such in Los Angeles), but have also taken it up the coast. It's nimble enough to get through traffic and comfortable enough for longer trips.

I don't think your lady will be able to resist once you have the bike. My girl is happier than a kid whenthe ice cream truck comes around when she on the back of my Bob. All it takes is gettin her on there once.

Well, we can hope....maybe it will happen some day, and that's the day I'll be looking for an FLH...

I'm very pleased to hear that you all have not hesitated to take the Bob on some long-distance runs. Sounds like it's worked great for that purpose and I'm not hearing any reliability or overheating problems...oil cooler and oil temp gauge probably worth doing, though...

I'm also glad to hear about the Bob's good handling...that's important, because I think you really have to get off the interstates and get on the back roads to see the country and meet the folks.

I've looked at a lot of bikes in the medium to heavyweight cruiser range (including some of the Japanese bikes...sorry...) and it really comes down to three that hit me just right...the Triumph America (engine on the small side), the Victory Kingpin 8-Ball (would require some outfitting with bags and shield) and the Street Bob (also bags and shield). Of the three, the Triumph is the least expensive...the Kingpin is a little less than the Bob.

Anyway, thanks to all for the kindness of your replies and for the very useful information...I better not go back to the H-D dealer until I'm ready to buy-I think they're getting tired of me drooling on their bikes...

Incidentally, Bigfoot...very nice ride and that last photo of the bike with the mountains in the background...that's a classic...I uploaded it and put it in my screensaver slide show...hope that's OK!!

J-Bob

I've looked at a lot of bikes in the medium to heavyweight cruiser range (including some of the Japanese bikes...sorry...) and it really comes down to three that hit me just right...the Triumph America (engine on the small side), the Victory Kingpin 8-Ball (would require some outfitting with bags and shield) and the Street Bob (also bags and shield). Of the three, the Triumph is the least expensive...the Kingpin is a little less than the Bob.

Incidentally, Bigfoot...very nice ride and that last photo of the bike with the mountains in the background...that's a classic...I uploaded it and put it in my screensaver slide show...hope that's OK!!

J-Bob

No problems on scooping up the photo. That's what they get posted for. That photo was taken a week ago (on May 3 2008) approaching the Idaho/Montana border on the I 15. Below freezing, but the roads were clear.
I looked at the Triumph American as well before I bought my 1200 Sportster. I'm glad I bought the Harley, Although the Sportster was a little small for my 6'2" body. The American feels bigger than a 1200 Sportster. I just bought the Street Bob. Much better bike for my size and style. That Triumph is a beautiful bike, but not in the same class as a Street Bob. IMHO.
As far as heat goes. The Harley's do run hot. Where I live that's an advantage. But riding in Phoenix a couple weeks ago temperatures were in the high 80's. The backs of my thighs were getting very warm in slow traffic. Once you get moving the engine heat wasn't a factor. If you live in very hot climate and plan a lot of start/stop riding an oil cooler or parade fan would be a good idea.

Another one from my last long ride. Apr 29 2008 Route 66 Arizona.
route66AZ.jpg

Hi J-Bob,
Good luck in your search. When I was looking for a bike, I considered many. I found a softail deuce which I love. I didn't regret spending the extra $$. I have a sundowner seat which has worked great. I also added a detachable windshield, which I never take off. I put the Küryakyn Premium ISO®-Grips, and the ISO®-Stirrups with Male Mounts on the bike. I like the heel rests, great for the long rides when you don't have the foot boards. Good luck!

Bob, you and I are in the same boat. I am looking and saving $$. I rode a friend's Super Glide a few weeks ago for several hours in PA and now I am hopelessly hooked.

I just want to get a bike. 2 kids in college makes the budget tight. The only bike I have now has pedals :-( This forum is great for gathering intel. :)

Just got an '06 Bob. I'm 6 foot, left the mid-controls on it, with forward riding pegs. So far I have not ridden it much, but what I have I can tell you the stock seat is comfortable, the handlebars, I like, but those are a preference. Still need to get a windshield for it, but other then that I am good.

If you are looking new, I strongly suggesting looking around and buying one a year or 2 old. You'll save a ton and probably get some of the extras you are looking for. I was in the same boat, ended up finding one a few years old and saved about 4-5K off the dealership price, plus the bike had a ton of extras, including a thunderheader exhaust, Arlen Ness air filter...Overall, best way to go. Good luck.

Back