free website stats program Strange ticking noise | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange ticking noise

I'm anxious to hear the outcome of this saga. I hope it turns out to be better than it has sounded so far.
Good luck Papamte, I hope all turns out OK

OK, I got my bike back today! I talked with the mechanic who worked on my bike and grilled him about the reason for all the major work. He said that the roller rockers weren't clearanced enough in the webbing and that was why the valve springs broke, and probably a major source of noise. He found broken rings on both pistons and replaced them along with rehoning the cylinders. The crankshaft bearing on the stator side was bad, and my flywheels were damaged. They replaced the stator also!
I pretty much have a rebuilt engine and new cams and lifters. The ride home was great!!!! This was the first time I've ridden the bike with no perceivable noise coming from the engine at all. The bike runs smooth and the power is even better than before. So far I'm happy with the build, but I still wish it would have been a simple inexpensive fix. They cut me slack on the price everywhere they could, and no charge for the previous work done before this last complete teardown. $2089.54 out the door.

Back