free website stats program Strange ticking noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange ticking noise

Doc, the compensator nut is still tight and the primary chain is properly adjusted. I just don't understand why this started happening.

I've started thinking about the new compensator that BDL makes. It uses teflon washers instead of the springs to absorb the shock loads. It's been getting some good reviews, and it's much cheaper than the Harley compensator.

Well I took the bike to the dealership today and had the mechanic's take a listen to it. I was told it was either the compensator or a connecting rod problem. I told the service guy that " IT WAS NOT THE CONNECTING ROD ". I meant please not the connecting rod or anything wrong in the lower case. My wife already has the red (edit) about how much I've had to spend on this bike to keep it running! I hope to hear from them in a couple of days with good news, or at least that the compensator was the problem.

If not, it was nice meeting you guys! I'll probably be shot or worse if it's gonna cost a lot to fix it.:bigsmiley21:

Well I talked to the service guy at the dealership and got an update on my bike. I was told that I have a broken ring on one of the pistons, but it appears that no significant damage was done to the cylinder or the piston itself. They are waiting on new rings to come. Also, I was told that the SE adjustable pushrods were not adjusted right. The mechanic says he thinks the combination of the two was the source of the noise. So I guess it could have been worse!

Maybe I'll have my bike bike back by friday. I am so ready to ride!!!!!!!

Glider I'm already at the 95" and it's working great on the power, so I'll just leave it where it's at for now. Maybe down the road I might do a 110 when it's time to do a complete overhaul. Right now I'm just trying to keep momma off my back. She's a bit ticked at how much I've had to spend on this bike. She's always throwing out the Honda "G" word!

The ticking sound is a time bomb waiting to go off. As a concerned bro, I'll take the bike off your hands for no charge...just because I care. No need to thank me...just sign over the title.:D

I have a similar noise in my 96 Twin Cam. It didn't do it when I first bought the bike in December, but now it has 3900 miles and like you, the noise is driving me nuts. Anybody come back with a good solution yet?

Well, the service guy at the dealership called today to tell me that my valve springs were broken and now we're waiting on new springs. I guess I'll have almost a new top end job by the time they're done. New rings with cylinder honing, new valve springs, new gaskets, and all that on top of my recent cams/lifter change should have the old bike in top form again.:bigsmiley8:

I just hope that these problems will cure the noise issue. Maybe the noise was a culmination of all these things. By the way, he says he will cut me some slack on the labor for it taking so long to get my bike done.

Son!!

I think they saw you coming on this one. Broken ring AND broken valve springs? How did they determine the broken ring without pulling the heads and jugs off the pistons? Did they not notice the broken springs then? Hmmm. OJT I guess.

And with all that wrong with the engine, I would have thought that there would have been significant noise and/or performance problems. Way more than the ticking you described originally.

Well, if you are having all that done, you might as well splurge and have them put in roller rockers and the gear drive kit for the cams. That should eliminate all those potential problems. Of course you WILL have to go out and get the Missus some serious bling as an olive branch.

TQ

Back