free website stats program Storage | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Storage

I change my oils when they are due to be changed. My engine is getting close to 4k, so time to change. I have let 2k engine oil and 4k primary oil sit for 4 months. I just don't believe in some of the over protective behavior that goes on some times. If someone has proof that used oil can shorten the life of engine and drivetrain componants, I would like see it.

The acids can permanently etch and corrode the bearings, would you want this in your air cooled motor?

I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing in this process.
When I park after a ride the oil drains out of the engine regardless if I drain the tank or not, correct? All but what is in the pump and filter. So when you pull the drain plug you're just draining the tank.
My next question is then why does it do more damage to not run the motor with used oil as it does to run it with that same oil? The oil is in there eigther way.
These are merely rhetorical questions on my part as I am not advocating any one behavior over the next.
Is the benefit derived from having the new oil circulated in the vital areas without having the acid present? If so then you should run it for a short time before storage to circulate it, correct?
In search of enlightenment,
Harley

I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing in this process.
When I park after a ride the oil drains out of the engine regardless if I drain the tank or not, correct? All but what is in the pump and filter. So when you pull the drain plug you're just draining the tank.
My next question is then why does it do more damage to not run the motor with used oil as it does to run it with that same oil? The oil is in there eigther way.
These are merely rhetorical questions on my part as I am not advocating any one behavior over the next.
Is the benefit derived from having the new oil circulated in the vital areas without having the acid present? If so then you should run it for a short time before storage to circulate it, correct?
In search of enlightenment,
Harley

When you shut your bike off there is about 1 quart of oil still in the crank case, if you are not using a Oil scavenger guess where that old oil is still sitting.

By purchasing insurance for the full year you can avoid this debate of when to change the oil, just keep riding. Fortunately I can say that since our lower mainland of BC climate allows many miles over the winter. Heated and wet gear of course.

By purchasing insurance for the full year you can avoid this debate of when to change the oil, just keep riding. Fortunately I can say that since our lower mainland of BC climate allows many miles over the winter. Heated and wet gear of course.

Too much freezing here

The acids can permanently etch and corrode the bearings, would you want this in your air cooled motor?

This is what has been stated for years and on every web site that talks about engine storage. But I have not found any data or testing to back up the claim. How bad is this issue. What about the thousands of lawn tractors that get neglected every year, should they not be failing by the thousands. My lawn mower has not had an oil change in 5 years. I guess I will just have to believe what I am told. Or do I? I have decided to run a test of my own using my 4k oil I will be changing soon, Mobil 1 VT 20-50. I will run it along side a control sample in new oil.

It's sad to think that us northerners riding season is almost over and that we are putting the scoots away for the next 6 months.

Or, you could move to Florida and ride year round!

:)

You don't need to buy the scavenger. Look in the self help section and you will see info on how to accomplish the same thing with just a piece of clear hose. Very simple and it costs you nothing.

Back