free website stats program Storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Storage

Curveball

Banned
Quick question...
Is it better to change crankcase oil before storage or after?
I've heard opinons both ways.
Before, because of acid accumulation
After, because of sludge drop. Etc.
I've always changed before puttin her up but want to hear some other opinions.
Thanks.

Hi,
Question for you please. If bike will sit idle in garage for 6 months before spring. Why not change oil in spring without cranking engine over ?. Let it drip slowly but surely. After 6 month most of the "contaminated" oil will be in the pan wont it ?.

Also, if you change oil before storage. Do you change again when spring comes ?

Thanks

Hi,
Question for you please. If bike will sit idle in garage for 6 months before spring. Why not change oil in spring without cranking engine over ?. Let it drip slowly but surely. After 6 month most of the "contaminated" oil will be in the pan wont it ?.

Thanks

The Idea is to keep the old oil which contains acid and contaminants from sitting still in the motor for a long period of time. If you changed in the spring without starting the motor that old acid is still sitting in the motor. It needs to be warmed up to circulate that stuff through prior to pulling the plug. Best method is to warm the bike completely prior to storage and drain with the engine still hot. Then fill with clean oil and put her away for the winter. No need to change again in the spring. Just check the oil level and top off if necessary.

It's sad to think that us northerners riding season is almost over and that we are putting the scoots away for the next 6 months. The normal riding season is very short here and with all the rain this year it was even shorter. However I rode this morning (40*). BTW change oil before putting away and don't start until spring.

Hi,

Thanks

Pretty much what Dswartz said it on the money. NEVER change the oil without a full warm up (over 10 miles) or any sludge will remain in the cases.

I also like to change oil and filter before lay up and after the oil change is done, start and run for 30 seconds to get fresh oil in all the right places.

Hi Glider,

"I also like to change oil and filter before lay up and after the oil change is done, start and run for 30 seconds to get fresh oil in all the right places. "

This I never thought of. WIll do as well.

Back