free website stats program stock or lowered... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

stock or lowered...

Having more travel allows the suspension to soak up the undulations of the road better and so provide a smoother ride this will also raise the ground clearance of the bike and will allow for a greater lean angle prior to parts touching
There may be the occasion that a shorter person needs a lowered bike to facilitate reaching the ground however shorter people tend to weigh less than taller people and the suspension is able to cope

Brian

I bought an adjustable lowering kit for the rear and inatially lowered it 2" not thinking about the suspension being bottomed out and went for a ride around the block hit a speed bump at 20 MPH and my friends ended up in my throat. After leaning over the bike for about 10 minutes and groaning in pain I decided a softtail ridged was not for me.

If you change the ride height make sure to check the belt tension also.

I bought an adjustable lowering kit for the rear and inatially lowered it 2" not thinking about the suspension being bottomed out and went for a ride around the block hit a speed bump at 20 MPH and my friends ended up in my throat. After leaning over the bike for about 10 minutes and groaning in pain I decided a softtail ridged was not for me.

If you change the ride height make sure to check the belt tension also.

Very good point often overlooked:s

Lowered...out of necessity! But do get professional help with proper ride height, load, spring rate and estimated ladened weight based on your application with a pro like Progressive. Their tech support helped me select the shorter shocks with proper springs and setup for me. At 5' 6" and 130 lbs (my gal a little shorter and similar weight) with probably 55 lbs of gear on my Sporty was important to get the right setup to ensure good handling.

Lowered...out of necessity! But do get professional help with proper ride height, load, spring rate and estimated ladened weight based on your application with a pro like Progressive. Their tech support helped me select the shorter shocks with proper springs and setup for me. At 5' 6" and 130 lbs (my gal a little shorter and similar weight) with probably 55 lbs of gear on my Sporty was important to get the right setup to ensure good handling.

Did you readjust the belt and or chain?:s

Sorry that I did not catch your question Jack. Yes it did require a minor belt tension adjustment, because the travel and suspension angle changed slightly, but clearance was good all the way around so no issues. Do make sure to inspect the taillight wire loom up under the rear fender for evidence of any contact with the tire just to be sure. This is a consideration if you ride two-up and go over speed bumps rather uhhh "briskly". :s

Sorry that I did not catch your question Jack. Yes it did require a minor belt tension adjustment, because the travel and suspension angle changed slightly, but clearance was good all the way around so no issues. Do make sure to inspect the taillight wire loom up under the rear fender for evidence of any contact with the tire just to be sure. This is a consideration if you ride two-up and go over speed bumps rather uhhh "briskly". :s

:s Good info here, Too many times the belt or chain is over looked at times like this:s

Back