free website stats program Steering neck grease | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Steering neck grease

It sounds to me like the MOCO does not use syn grease on neck bearings, so what kind of grease does everyone use, I am thinking Syn grease maybe Mobile 1 brand, if they even make make it, which I think they would.

I use synthetic, currently Castrol Syntec. Next tube is Mobil 1 syn.
I've always used a flexible hose adapter on the grease gun. It's made greasing all my past and current vehicles that much easier.

When the factory lubes the neck, they just pack the bearings with grease, because they have not installed them yet. That is sufficient for original installation. But when you are doing scheduled maintenance, the only way you can pack the bearings is to fill the whole neck with grease, until a bit starts coming out. So, it is normal to use quite a bit of grease the first time you do a scheduled maintenance. The next time, it won’t take near as much grease.

:34:

Great info, like learning about these things..

Last year I put in about 5 to 6 oz of grease into mine before any came out the bottom. I think it is overlooked at the 1000 mile check up. If you replace the zirk fitting with a 90 degree fitting, it will make it much easier.

WHATEVER BRAND OF GREASE YOU USE MAKE SURE IT'S # 2 bearing grease, or it will run out the bottom bearing, when it warms up. Same grease used on car wheel bearings.

I used a multipurpose greast. guess I better check the fine print and see what grade. This Florida summer heat will melt it quick. thanx for the tip, greasit.

would if you don't have a grease fitting at all ,could drill and tap one. if so where would you put it.?O mine is a 1992 fxrp.

Last edited:
would if you don't have a grease fitting at all ,could drill and tap one. if so where would you put it.?O mine is a 1992 fxrp.

Usually if it doesn't have a fitting, there a reason. The frame tubes are open inside the neck and you would only fill the frame with grease.

2 of the clingiest greases, that I know of that have good lube quality, are Mobil SHC 220 a red full synthetic and Castrol full syn, kind of a light blue purple do not have the numbers in front of me.

We use in severe duty applications and they stay in. They do not wash out with water and it takes HOT pressure washer to clean off.

I greased when I bought 05 and pushed grease out top and bottom wiped off excess with rag.

There was a difference in free turning on lift.

Bought the Lucas Red 'n Tacky #2 grease yesterday. Tried putting a 90 deg zerk in the neck and could not get it threaded due to the zerk fitting hitting the chassis framing in that area.

Saw one poster (Ironmark) said had to take the batwing off to get a 90deg zerk installed, and others who posted they installed a 90 w/o taking off the fairing.

Is there a special trick to get this installed w/o taking the fairing off? I've got an 08 Ultra and the fitting is tapped in the bottom area of the steering neck, and hit's the framing directly below when threading it in. I tried pivoting the handlebars when threading, but it gets so buried I can't get a hand in there to get it threaded.

no have not tried 90 deg.. i use a bendable hose turn handlebars to rt. get on Zerk no problem..09 flh..

Back