free website stats program Steering neck grease | Harley Davidson Forums

Steering neck grease

Mavagrand

Cleaning the bike, getting ready for long trip in August. Got to reading my service manual and noticed my steering neck was overdue for grease. Got out the ol' grease gun, found the grease port on the left side (not very convenient to get at) and began pumping grease. Manual said to pump until the grease "exudes" out of the neck. I went through one 3oz cartridge and most of another one before I could see the grease "exuding". Seemed like an awful lot of grease for an 08 EGC w/20k on it. Anyway wanted to share that with you guys. Everybody ride safe!

Exact same experience when I did my 10,000 mile service on an 08 Street Glide.

Must have been a shortage of grease when they built the 2008 models so they just sent them out to the dealers with nothing in there!

When the factory lubes the neck, they just pack the bearings with grease, because they have not installed them yet. That is sufficient for original installation. But when you are doing scheduled maintenance, the only way you can pack the bearings is to fill the whole neck with grease, until a bit starts coming out. So, it is normal to use quite a bit of grease the first time you do a scheduled maintenance. The next time, it won’t take near as much grease.

:34:

When the factory lubes the neck, they just pack the bearings with grease, because they have not installed them yet. That is sufficient for original installation. But when you are doing scheduled maintenance, the only way you can pack the bearings is to fill the whole neck with grease, until a bit starts coming out. So, it is normal to use quite a bit of grease the first time you do a scheduled maintenance. The next time, it won’t take near as much grease.

:34:

That is good to know, I thought it might be a dealer prep thing, I check the manual it is part of the 1K service, 10K, 20k,

Should have been greased at 1K service. Mine was Police Bike, had 5K on it when I got it. I took it to the dealer for 5K service. I did the 10K service, it was dry.

I think it is a conspiracy with HD dealers to keep the bikes clean.:s

First greasing on a new bike will take better than 1/2 of the big tubes (about 10" long) of grease in a grease gun to fill the neck to a point of where it can be seen coming through the bearings.

a forum member noted wrap a rope around bottom between tree & cup i did & it made grease get forced up to top bearing. it likes to come out bot 1 st.. i think it was smitty's idea....

I was going to grease mine but was concerned about that constant ooze out of there when or if the weather warms up. I guess just don't over do it eh?

use high temp grease there is a name for it but it eludes me now..its red in color,,

Back