free website stats program Stealing a H-D | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stealing a H-D

I trust my Xena disk brake lock.
It's audible alarm falses quite often and kills it's battery, but the lock itself would prevent anyone from rolling the bike away. They would have to lift it to get it. Not that that couldn't happen too.

As far as locks, it is best if you have two different types besides...as far as that "portion" of security, which is to secure it to an immovable object "--what ever that is..."! :newsmile107:

No problems that I know of on the KSU campus. Police reports have risen dramatically in the Barrett Parkway area (especially the apartment complexes) over the past several years. My insurance premiums are evident enough. My rates would drop almost 60% if I changed zip codes! This is due to the increased numbers of stolen motorcycles and insurance claims as a result.

Oh well, another reason for the insurance companies to jack up your rates. I know it's all a numbers/statistics game but it's frustrating nonetheless. I guess I live too close to the Barrett area, my premiums went up this year.

I tend to see a lot of bikes stolen from apartment complexes. Most are crotch-rockets that were either parked behind the dumpster, or under the stairs, to hide it from view.

I seldom have to park where I will be far from my bike. I pretty much rely on the factory alarm, although I did not go for the audible siren add on. When set the ecm or computer is disabled and without my code it is not going to start and run. However, the bike could still be loaded into a truck or van and stripped or another ecm could be obtained.
If I had any fears of theft though, I would have had a device called a Lo-Jack installed. They have them for motorcycles and from what I understand they are hidden out of sight and if the bike is stolen a satelite control activates the device and many police departments have another device that can hone in on the bikes location. I would imagine all that would have to take place in a short time after the theft or the thieves would bust it up good if they found it on the bike. It is another option and dealers in my area sell them and install them.

My bike was a dealer demo so they loaded it up with the vibrating pager option,so if it vibrates I can go out to see it drive away on someones truck!

Here at home, the bike is comfy in the heated garage, cobra locked most of the time. Just a habit for the most part. Especially if I go out of town. Just something I do. I guess I've worked to hard to do otherwise.

My dog sleeps in the garage or laundry room and I'm thinking it might not be a good thing to wake her up in the middle of night or otherwise. Also when I go out of town, the motion detector will catch movement of any kind in the house or garage.
Ugly John

Like most said, if someone wants your bike, it's gone. My alarm and security system is my butt. If my bike is not in my garage, or if it's not sitting by my office window. My butts on it. You want it with my butt on it, try and catch me. :small3d026:

I also have a Xena disc lock. So if someone wants it, they can't just roll it away, and at least will have to work for it. In general thiives are not known for liking work. Sidecar plus bike gets up to about 1/2 ton.

Back