free website stats program Starter | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter

I own a 2001 Heritage classic, while running the starter will engage, also with the bike off, you turn the power on, put the switch from off to run, the bike will start on it's own without touching the start button, then within 30 sec, the starter will start turning over. Would this be a bad starter relay.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Relay or more likely a pinched wire in the bar controls that would do the same as hitting the start button. Have you changed anything in the switch area recently? Chrome controls? Bars? Grips?

I own a 2001 Heritage classic, while running the starter will engage, also with the bike off, you turn the power on, put the switch from off to run, the bike will start on it's own without touching the start button, then within 30 sec, the starter will start turning over. Would this be a bad starter relay.

could be contacts inside sw housing.. dirt making button stick. Have you mashed on the starter sw to see if it returned to normal? Simplest is where i always start.

I'll try, could anything underneath cause the problem? We traveled a gravel/ muddy rd in Canada a few weeks before this started.... the bike was a mess.

Probably not the weather, but the cleaning you did to get the bike "clean"...may have filled area with water and does take much splashing from the rider side to drive water up there in the hand control area.

Pondering your problem! Almost has to be the switch. any other cause would be instantly. The starter would be engaged all the time with a shorted wire also with a short in the starter. weak spring in sw would be delayed. contacts that are almost closed wil close with a little vibration. My money is on the sw.

Back