free website stats program Starter Relay Wiring | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Relay Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I think I see what you're doing. You can make this work, but the relay you have is way to big for the application. It's intended use is for starters with no solenoid to control and handle the main battery cable's starting current. What I'm guessing you are trying to do is adapt the big 4 post relay to the 3 pin system. Here's what I got:

B post which is a big post is #1 on old relay and should have 2 tan wires on it. 1 from the battery and 1 to the run switch (they use the post as a "T splice" point)

M post which is a big post is #2 on old relay and should have 1 green wire to the starter solenoid.

I post which is a small post is #3 on old relay and should have 1 black wire from the start switch.

S post gets the black wire to the trans stud for ground.

I don't really understand why they incorporate a relay to control the solenoid which, in itself, is a relay. I didn't design the system. If it was me, I would have made the "start" switch wires big enough (which they might be?) to handle the small current of the starter solenoid and not used a relay to simplify things. Anyways, enough rambling. I hope this is what you were looking for!!

The wire does seem to be the feed for the ignition switch, I do have it wired that way now, but I did not want to risk damaging the electrical system. Can I damage the system if I have incorrectly wired the relay in? I am probably being too cautious.

Thank you Krikket and Mr. Data I now have the info I was looking for, and I should be all set now, Thanks again.

Looks like it is not working properly, I am going to double check my wires, since I replaced most of my wires in my harness as well, then we will see

Instructions are on post #4. Remove all wires to relay.

TEST 1---2 small posts are the coil. if you hook up 12v + (FUSED!!!) to one small post and 12v - to the other small post, you will hear and feel the relay engage. If that happens, you know the coil is functioning properly.

TEST 2---Do the same thing in the previous post, but this time keep the coil energized. Now take a DVOM or an ohm meter and measure the resistance across the 2 large posts. You should under 1 ohm. If you read higher than that, your contacts are worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back