free website stats program Starter Relay Wiring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Relay Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a wiring diagram I made which I hope will simplify things. I'm not smart enough to make a diagram in Power Point or anything, so feel free to laugh!! I'm going under the assumption that there is no solenoid for the starter. I hope this will help you out.

Starterreleywiring.jpg

anybody know shovelhead wiring?
I am wiring a round style mechanical starter relay for my 77 flh. It was incorrectly wired for electronic ignition so I am going to the original point ignition. According to my manual the original relay is a three post style with two wires(positive battery and ignition switch) going to terminal #1, one wire(starter button) going to the #2 terminal, one wire(starter solenoid) going to the #3 terminal, and one ground wire from relay to tranny stud. The instructions from the relay itself; which is a Blue Streak name brand, is not as clear. It states connect positive battery cable to B terminal (large post), connect starter motor cable to M terminal (large post), connect ignition switch lead to S terminal (small post), connect coil lead to I terminal (small post), and If original switch has only 3 terminals- B, M, & S, do not use "I" terminal.
As you can see it leaves it open to interpretation, so my next question is:
If I try to do trial and error connections, will I or can I do damage to my electrical system?

the blue streak relay is part # SS598X

Your posts are very hard to follow.

The two large terminals are battery and starter as in the pic above. The two smaller terminals are the control leads. If you look at the diagram that krikket posted, it should do the trick. Only other option is if the starter button is a ground circuit meaning it furnishes ground instead of 12v , then you will need a lead from the ignition switch to the terminal that is showing a ground on the left of the relay in the pic instead of the ground wire.

I already have that diagram. That is the one i am refering to. Notice it shows both the positive battery wire and the ignition switch wire going to the same terminal. So it is different than the suggestions I have seen. I am not tryng to be confusing, and I do appreciate the help, so please bear with me. thank you

I already have that diagram. That is the one i am refering to. Notice it shows both the positive battery wire and the ignition switch wire going to the same terminal. So it is different than the suggestions I have seen. I am not tryng to be confusing, and I do appreciate the help, so please bear with me. thank you

Did you see post #15?

yes I did, but as I wrote; the relay instructions and suggestions do not refer to two wires (positive battery wire and ignition switch wire) going to the same terminal so, what next?

You lost me.:(

Are you using the instructions or what we are telling you here? Comparing it to the stock solenoid wiring???

What ignition switch wire, is it the feed for the ign switch you are talking about?

If it is, that can go on the same terminal as the battery wire. It's the feed for the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back