free website stats program Starter Issues 09 Road king | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Issues 09 Road king

The problem was never with the starter, the problem is the direct result of the compensator sprocket. You should have the SE compensator sprocket installed, the SE compensator cost around $250 and the dealer should charge 2 hours to do the repair. You are going to have a tough time getting it covered by warranty when the warranty plans says 2 years that means 2 years and the law is on the side of HD on this one.

Call Customer service, if you have documentation they will listen, Good Luck:s

My local dealer has told me comp.spocket in 2007-2009 had problems.I had a problem with noise starting on my 2010 FLTRX,turned out to be bad starter and battery.Both replaced under warranty.It helps when the service manager is a personal friend. Got another dealer you can go to?

I can't see why the comp would make a drag. The weak spring takes up the slack fast on start up but doesn't cause a drag. More of a clunk sound on the initial engagement.

The compensator will cause the clunk on start up which is the first sign of trouble, then you will get starter drag mostly when the bike is hot and you can even get starter stall and a grinding in starter. It would seem that the compensator sprocket will bind up as time goes on. No problems starting my bike since the stock compensator sprocket was replaced with the SE compensator sprocket.

HD's SE compensators Have Their OWN Problems that are different than the Banging of the stock compensator...:bigsmiley15:

One verses the other, I'll take the Stock comp. any day and only replace it with another stock one IF/When.. 40,000 miles and NO Problems with mine....
(09 FLHR)
Redline MTL lube Might be the difference:newsmile03:

signed....BUBBIE

Back