free website stats program start up noise | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

start up noise

ok checked my oil pressure last night and it's idling PSI is 12 and about 32 at 2000 rpm. This morning when it was cold the pressures were where Jack said they should be in a earlier post. Still clacking until she warms up......any ideas where to go next?

Sound like the oil pressure is up to where BUBBIE said in the earlier post?.... I think it Could be a BAD new lifter if all is adjusted right... New doesn't mean it can't be BAD...

If the oil pressure is up and the "clatter" is there Until it is warm,, How Long is it till Warm? clatter time? 10 seconds ? one minute? 20 minutes?

You get my drift.. How long?

Is the oil pressure UP ALL the time and Not Falling off?

Suggested repair:
I'd go that route IF push-rods are adjusted properly not too tight Nor too loose..... Find the LIFTER that is clattering and replace it.

signed....BUBBIE

Are you using 20/50 oil?

Checking Oil Pressure by removing the IDIOT light sensor and install a Manual Gauge to see the pressure at Idle 1200 RPM "cold" should show around 25 lbs at start up and 40 lbs at 2000 RPM " when Cold... after warmed, the oil at 1200RPM should be Not less than 10/12 lbs OR close to that.. and Run at 35/40 at riding speeds.

Idle of that carbed motor MAY be too low, causing the oil pressure to be TOO LOW when it idles,, ie: causing "low oil" to the lifters,Lifters making the noise you hear, until speed up motor PUMPS enough oil to silence them... If NOISE goes away at 1100/1200 RPM,,, all is probably normal and not to worry.... Don't try to IDLE engine Lower than the 1200 RPM level.. The motor Will Not pump enough oil thru-out the system at a Potato-potato idle!!!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Please Re-read this Above..

signed....BUBBIE

Back