free website stats program Stage 1 upgrade dilemma | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 upgrade dilemma

just fit a nice set of slipon pipes and the bike will just about cope with this upgrade as long as you do not again DO NOT alter the air intake

If money matters (and it usually does), just go with some Rush slip-ons to begin with. My next upgrade would be to go with a good air cleaner. This option will require a tuner (PW5 or SERT). The PW5 has downloads so it will not require a dyno tune. I'm not totally certain about the Sert but I would assume it also has a base download that the dealer would do on install. Then in a year or so, you can always get it dyno tuned if you really want to squeeze the best out of the bike. Of course if it was me, I would change the cam and add adj. pushrods and then dyno it to see what the engine has to offer and doing it without causing undue stress. I have the SE heavy breather AC (240.00), Rinehart true duals (750.00) and sert (I forget). Buy the items from Zanotti's or Chicago, LakeShore or Eastern Performance ( some pipes) at a pretty good savings and then have your local dealer put them on if you are unable. If you don't buy the sert, you can have any GOOD Indy do it. You will be happy that you saved money and more than happy that you run much better and obviously sound much better.

Last edited:
So, what is this "download" thing the dealer is going to perform that will cost $150 (parts I assume) and $45 in labor? They say to add pipes, I have to do this download. Nothing more, just software installed or updated into the computer. They also say I should NOT install an air cleaner on it. They say if I want an air cleaner, I will need to install the SERT.

btw, they did some sort of download that was supposed to eliminate pinging at higher speeds. This they did for free while doing my 1k service.

Marketing hype.

If you get a TFI and install it, you can add anything you want and readjust the settings. Very easy to install and setup. The dealer is trying to make some money at your expense. The dealer download only returns the ECM to the factory lean condition and nothing more. The addition of the pipes and the A/C can both be handled by the TFI.

The dealer download should be about $150 to do complete, not parts and labor both.

More on the TFI here.
Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

I previously had a pcIII installed on my 07 Heritage(with no dyno performed)and thought that it ran pretty good until the pcIII went south on me one afternoon in the middle of nowhere.When I purchased my 09 Heritage there was no way that I was installing another Power Commander(you only get ONE chance with me,if you burn me I'm finished with you.I went with the sert with dyno performed and couldn't be happier with my decision.Pricey,yes but to me well worth every penny spent.I'm reading this from my work order-SE PRO RACE TUNER 459.95 minus 15% =390.96,Inst.base map-75.00,3 hrs dyno time@75.00 per=225.00 for a total of 690.96 plus tax.I cannot believe how great this bike runs.I installed my stage 1 a/c and v+h true duals that I removed from the 07 and the difference in the 09 as compared to the 07 is just simply amazing.The funmeter on the 09 is sky high and I just cant keep the smile off of my face every time I ride.I have plenty of power in every gear and the true duals on both sides of my ears purr just like a lion.JMHO!

Attachments

• 100_0896.jpg
    100_0896.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 12
Hey glider, is a TFI a Power Commander or Fuel Pak? Or something else like that? If not, can you give me some examples and what they should cost approximately? And what would you recommend for a 2008 Road King Police? Thanks for the reply and all the information.

Just an added thought here for those interested...the service manager at my hd dealer did state that the power commander is just as capable as the sert but it also would require dyno time to reach its maximum benefit

Hey glider, is a TFI a Power Commander or Fuel Pak? Or something else like that? If not, can you give me some examples and what they should cost approximately? And what would you recommend for a 2008 Road King Police? Thanks for the reply and all the information.

Here are a few things for you to read on the subject:D
EFI Tuner Comparisons - Archive - Harley Davidson Community
TFI Questions - Archive - Harley Davidson Community
TFI Discounted - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

If you want more information here is the link to the whole section
Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

I wholeheartedly agree with others who are in the slip-on, screaming eagle aircleaner and TFI camp. It just works and it works well without a lot of undue hasstle with tuning problems.
As far as picking a new set of slip-ons, that in itself can be a daunting task because you don't know what those pipes sound like, right? I have found that the best way to attack that problem is to visit your local Harley dealer on a day when there are sure to be a bunch of riders on site. This time of year it is probably going to be on Saturday morning when many are trying to lure you in with beer, bbq and hot babes washing your bike. Just hang around out front. Look at the various bikes and listen to them when they pull up or leave. Sooner or later someone will come along with your model and has the sound you are looking for. Just ask. The Harley rider has not been invented yet who is not only too willing to tell you about their bike. It is kind of like children, ya know.

I went to my local Snarley dealer today. I got the same mixed answers when I asked about adding exhaust pipes, air and efi downloads (approximately $200). One guy says pipes and download only. Says I have to use a SERT if I add the Stage 1 air filter. Other guy says all three (air filter, download and pipes) are fine together without the SERT. Talk to someone else, they say use a Power commander and Air filter. Holy cow! Maybe someone can help straighten this out. What is the right thing to do? All I want to do is add exhaust to my 2008 RK Police. Thanks in advance for the help.

1. Pipes and download only
2. Pipes, download and air
3. Pipes, Power Commander (no download) and air
4. Pipes and Powe commander only
5. Some other solution :)
I added Rush slip-on's to my 2009 RK right after I bought it with no downloads or airfilter change. I had no problems I now have 800 mile's on it and just purchased the K&N RK3930 kit and TTS-Master Tuner. I saved the factory EMC calibrations and dowloaded new cailbrations from the TTS sofware from my laptop to the RK EMC. The RK started right up and ran fine. I'm at the stage of fine tuning the RK whch mean's the laptop is in my saddle bag and connected to the ECM chip to record what the engine is doing while I ride the RK and later I will reset the ECM with the new calibration.

My 2 cents...
There are many good reasons to do a SERT, Powercommander or similar product. Stock the HD engine is just too lean. (it has to be to meet EPA, but you don't need to live with it).

A EFI tune, plus slip-ons and a SE or K&N airfilter are pretty basic requirements to get your motor running right. Depending on the type of EFI tuning device you choose, you can either pick a download map that matches your add-ons or have the bike dyno tuned.

You won't regret the investment.

Back