free website stats program Stage 1 upgrade dilemma | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 upgrade dilemma

smkinnan

I went to my local Snarley dealer today. I got the same mixed answers when I asked about adding exhaust pipes, air and efi downloads (approximately $200). One guy says pipes and download only. Says I have to use a SERT if I add the Stage 1 air filter. Other guy says all three (air filter, download and pipes) are fine together without the SERT. Talk to someone else, they say use a Power commander and Air filter. Holy cow! Maybe someone can help straighten this out. What is the right thing to do? All I want to do is add exhaust to my 2008 RK Police. Thanks in advance for the help.

1. Pipes and download only
2. Pipes, download and air
3. Pipes, Power Commander (no download) and air
4. Pipes and Powe commander only
5. Some other solution :)

Truth is there is not just one answer. It depends on what you intend to do with the bike. First you should probably get any available "downloads" for your bike as these are fixes for known problems. Do some research and find out which are applicable to your bike. I believe there is one d/l for your ABS (assuming you have it ) there is also one that pertains to a high idle problem. You do not, repeat, do not have to use the SERT. In fact you may be able to change just your slip-ons and not do anything else. I don't know what if anything you may want to do about an air cleaner. Most police bike are already set up as a stage 2 (103 cubic in.) My advice would be don't do anything until you ride it a while. You may be perfectly happy the way it is. As I said it really depends on how the bike is currently set up. Just my opinion.

I recommend you send a note to smitty...he has a dealer that has good info regarding these issues...good luck with this.:s

Truth is there is not just one answer. It depends on what you intend to do with the bike. First you should probably get any available "downloads" for your bike as these are fixes for known problems. Do some research and find out which are applicable to your bike. I believe there is one d/l for your ABS (assuming you have it ) there is also one that pertains to a high idle problem. You do not, repeat, do not have to use the SERT. In fact you may be able to change just your slip-ons and not do anything else. I don't know what if anything you may want to do about an air cleaner. Most police bike are already set up as a stage 2 (103 cubic in.) My advice would be don't do anything until you ride it a while. You may be perfectly happy the way it is. As I said it really depends on how the bike is currently set up. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your reply. I will check on those other downloads/fixes. Is there a place I can look for the ones that apply to my bike?

You are right, it is a 103ci. But what I want to do is get rid of that sewing machine sounds by just adding pipes (no offense to sewing machines) ;) If anyone can tell me what to do to just do this upgrade, that would be awesome.

I hope you are sitting comfortably :D
1st the SERT is a very expensive item for a stage 1 upgrade.
the power commander again is a very expensive item for stg1

For a basic upgrade that you can do yourself and save yourself $$$$$$
get a SE filter kit, get your choice or Slip on pipe or full system and buy the TFI - simple to adjust easy to fit and works - all for under $800 roughly - no dyno required unlike the SERT and Power Commander
for the TFI see here www.techlusion.com

Power commander is only a few dollars more than the TFI and will give you more options. You can get a Power Commander 5, jackpot mufflers, and a new air intake for less than $700 from fuelmoto. The PCV will come with a good map preloaded and you can always get a new one from fuelmoto if you change something, their maps a really good.

just fit a nice set of slipon pipes and the bike will just about cope with this upgrade as long as you do not again DO NOT alter the air intake

I agree with Hobbit's assessment. Find a set of slip-ons that give you the sound you want and leave it at that. You should be able to do that upgrade for a few hundred bucks. Leave the rest as is until you see if performance suffers. Then if needed you can invest in a TFI or Power Commander.

Just my 2 cents.....
I agree completely with Hobbit and Doug. Just add the pipes and see where that takes you. So many people automaticly want to sell you the whole shebang, pipes, a/c, downloads, etc or else "it'll run like ". Baloney. Unless you do some real mods like headwork and a monster a/c, the EFI will take care of it in most cases. (although, my stock '07 did make great use of XEID's just to get rid of the factory set leaness). Now, mind you, more fuel is always good (to a point), but not req'd. If all you want is some decent sound, add the pipes and forget it. Don't forget, a dealer can only (legally) do what the EPA allows them to. So the dealer downloads seem like a rip off to me. As far as the a/c upgrades, I did recently read an article concerning the newer Triumphs and a/c upgrades. Same deal was said there, "if you don't do X, Y AND Z, it'll run like ". The article was about the flow of air thru the "upgrade" aircleaners. It did a test and found that, yes, it did FLOW better air, it DIDN'T get get MORE air THRU the a/c. Big difference.
Nightrider has some excellent articles on all of this type stuff, should you be so inclined.

Power commander is only a few dollars more than the TFI and will give you more options. You can get a Power Commander 5, jackpot mufflers, and a new air intake for less than $700 from fuelmoto. The PCV will come with a good map preloaded and you can always get a new one from fuelmoto if you change something, their maps a really good.
power commander isnt the best for hd, dont get me wrong i swore by the commander for the rice rocket, done alot of research, power commander not the first choice for the hd

JMHO, but I think freeing up the system by reducing the restrictions on these air pumps is a good thing. But letting the beast breath easier means more fuel is required to maintain an acceptable AFR. I like the simpler approach for most street riders (not racers!!). The "Stage 1" up-grade (great marketing ploy!!) of higher flow air cleaner, less restrictive exhaust components and a fueler I think are worth the time and effort. I am very biased on doing work myself, so to me, these changes are worth it. If you stack $65-95/hour on top of the parts costs is it still worth doing? Your call. Would not be to me.

But for the time and effort it takes someone to add new cans, swap out the air cleaner system, and install a TFI that allows them to tweak the fuel delivery until it is just right for THEM, absolutely!!

Like I said at the start, JMHO!

TQ

Back