free website stats program Sputtering when i pull in clutch and high Sputtering, stalling | Harley Davidson Forums

Sputtering when i pull in clutch and high Sputtering, stalling

Hi, so i have 07 sportster. Live in Arizona and other night noticed it was ideling high jist sitting there. Then drove on the highway next day amd when i was coming off and downshifting i noticed that it was almost stalling when i pulled in the clutch. Had to give it gas to keep it from stalling once i stopped. I charged my battery replaced spark plugs put some injection cleaner amd its still sputtering. But gets worse once its hot. And mostly when i pull clutch in to down shift. Especially off the highway. Oh and when it sputters my check engine light comes on briefly and my speedometer light keeps going on amd off not sure if its related.. But Any ideas????

Welcome aboard from Gulf Coast AL.
Check your battery connections to insure they are tight, I had a lot of the same stuff going on, on my 07. Try putting fresh fuel in it, it's also possible the fuel line is worn inside the tank and is sucking air. Others may chime in with more ideas.

I don,t know how a sportster-tank is vented , but there is a possibility that the tankventilation is (partially) clogged by debris left there from the paint job.
This can create a vacuum in the tank , preventing flow of gas in a normal way.
Note: If it's start sputtering , immediately release gascap , if sputtering then dissapears, this might be the problem!!. (or part of )

If it runs fine at highway speeds I would say no. If the vent or filter was partially clogged with debris I believe you would have a bigger issue with more demand for fuel at highway speeds.

Breeze3at said:
'07 fuel injection was problematic for the IAC (intake air controller) getting gummed up. Your symptoms are spot on for this. It is simple to fix with a can of carb cleaner. Youtube has videos of the procedure.

Agree with Breeze. Twin Cams suffer the same malady regardless of model year.;)

Back