free website stats program Spot/Aux Lights Mod | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spot/Aux Lights Mod

This is just my thoughts on this and as a SAFETY feature this is something I would not do. By switching the spot lights to your high beam lights it will create some adverse affects. One, it will blind those in front of you by the glare it will create in thier mirrors. Two, it will reduce the distance you will be able to see in the fog as those lights are aimed lower to the ground, too much light in fog reflects back at you making it harder to see.
If you just want brighter lights why not consider Xenon bulbs. Again just my thoughts.
Be safe and enjoy the ride.

This is just my thoughts on this and as a SAFETY feature this is something I would not do. By switching the spot lights to your high beam lights it will create some adverse affects. One, it will blind those in front of you by the glare it will create in thier mirrors. Two, it will reduce the distance you will be able to see in the fog as those lights are aimed lower to the ground, too much light in fog reflects back at you making it harder to see.
If you just want brighter lights why not consider Xenon bulbs. Again just my thoughts.

The spots/Aux lights are not "switched to the High beam" and are independent from the both the low and the High beams. If yon't want them on, turn them off.

Sorry for the brain fade.

The spots/Aux lights are not "switched to the High beam" and are independent from the both the low and the High beams. If yon't want them off, tou can turn them off by the spot switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to get the Aux. light mod. installed... finally!
As earlier stated, it's a real bear to get your hands in to disconnect the plug. Small hands are a plus.

There is a "button" to push down and release the plug. It didn't go well when the plastic button broke. It took a number of hours to get it apart. Had to use a Dremel tool to notch the spot where the button broke so I could get a release. A bit of WD-40 helped to get the plug apart as they were together since assembly from the factory.
A person might want to do the WD-40 before starting. Being stuck was part of the problem.

Finally got it in and I'm happy.
Wonder what the dealership would have charged? I'll have to ask the next time I'm in there.Wonder if they have a flat fee?

I managed to get the Aux. light mod. installed... finally!
As earlier stated, it's a real bear to get your hands in to disconnect the plug. Small hands are a plus.

There is a "button" to push down and release the plug. It didn't go well when the plastic button broke. It took a number of hours to get it apart. Had to use a Dremel tool to notch the spot where the button broke so I could get a release. A bit of WD-40 helped to get the plug apart as they were together since assembly from the factory.
A person might want to do the WD-40 before starting. Being stuck was part of the problem.

Finally got it in and I'm happy.
Wonder what the dealership would have charged? I'll have to ask the next time I'm in there.Wonder if they have a flat fee?
I know what you mean. I have Fred Flintstone hands and it's hard to get into small tight places some times. I was able to remove the plug with out any issues. Did you use the $30 adapter or cut and splice?

Sorry for the brian fart.

The spots/Aux lights are not "switched to the High beam" and are independent from the both the low and the High beams. If yon't want them off, tou can turn them off by the spot switch.

It is understood they are independent and can be shut off completely, but the aux spot lights automaticly shut off when you turn the high beam light on now. Am I missing something or did you not say you want them on all the time thereby diminishing the effect of using them as an indepent light source?

Am I missing something or did you not say you want them on all the time thereby diminishing the effect of using them as an indepent light source?

What I said was "I’m getting ready to modify the Spot/Aux Lights so the spot lights remain on when the High beam is selected".
Ergo, I don’t want the spotlights to be switched off by switching to the high beam. Logically, if I don't want the spotlights on then I'll turn off the spot light switch.

The spotlights normal set up from the factory has switched 12VDC from the low beam switch to the spotlight switch. Thus, you must have the low beam on if you want to use the spotlights. I did not want this so I modified my bike.

I have simply changed the Spotlights power source from the low beam switch to an independent current limited 12VDC source.
By doing this, I can run my High beam light or Low beam light with the spotlights on (or off). I have full control over what combination of lighting that I choose to ride with. Harley Davison also offers a $30 cable to install that does the same thing. The only difference here is, my way was free.

Later

I know what you mean. I have Fred Flintstone hands and it's hard to get into small tight places some times. I was able to remove the plug with out any issues. Did you use the $30 adapter or cut and splice?
Not much room in there.
I bought the $30 adapter before starting the change.
I'd rather buy the adapter as I don't want to cut into the limited space to change the wiring. It's tight for sure.
Thought it would be a quicky but wasn't.
I hate trying to get the terminals loose in those plugs.
What I needed was a gal with small hands and mechanically inclined.
Do they exist?

I just installed the adapter on my Street Glide today. I had trouble getting the connector apart, until I realized i could reach it easier by taking the instrument panel loose and pulling it loose through the back side. Once you get the original connector apart, it's a simple PnP, and works great.

Back