free website stats program sporty drive belt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

sporty drive belt

that thing should have been screaming and clanging

To have a bad bearing with a loose belt flopping around, is one thing. But then to adjust a belt into a bad bearing with 10 lbs of belt tension, and not to hear it is another thing. Maybe the bike had Drag pipes on it. That would drown out a bad connecting rod bearing.:)

I haven't loosened the pulley nut yet as I don't have a socket that big in my tool box, when you grab the tranny pulley you can wiggle it at least 1/4" side to side. Owner complained of belt noise a few months ago and I adjusted belt to proper specs as it was way to loose. Noticed then that belt was tracking into the tranny pulley cover. Owner said sound went away and everything was good until this week when he noticed frayed edges on belt. He is running vance and hines short shots so they are kinda loud. Noticed that the locking plate that goes over the tranny pulley nut is showing signs that the nut had moved and gouged into the lock plate. Definitely a ton of run out on the pulley and hope that the splines on the output shaft are OK. Is the tranny pulley for his sporty a dealership only part as I can find no aftermarket ones on the net? Thanks for all your help. Josh

First off thanks for the part number for the pulley, I looked at harleys website and they show a pulley kit for bikes up to 2004 and it cost $249.00. It has the pulley, nut and lock plate. I went to bikebandit.com and looked up the part for my friends 2005, they have a nice schematic of the parts and it doesn't look like the 2005 pulley has any bearing in it at all just splined on the inner bore and the price was only $63.00 . I am beginning to wonder if the nut loosened up and wallowed out the splines on the tranny pulley. I am picking up a 1 7/8 socket today and am going to get this taken apart to find the problem. I can't see how the nut would come loose with that lock plate over the nut and the 2 bolts holding the lock plate on were plenty tight. Anyone else out there ever experience this before? Thanks for any info Josh

Got 1 7/8 socket today and stopped at local dealership to pick up pulley, nut and lock plate. They lent me the pulley locking tool and I removed the tranny pulley. Splines in the pulley are completely rounded off and there is one section that is completely missing 2 or 3 splines. Tranny output shaft is fine! Thank God the MoCo was at least smart enough to make the tranny output shaft material harder than the material the pulley is made of:) Thanks again for everyones help on this. Josh

Splines in the pulley are completely rounded off and there is one section that is completely missing 2 or 3 splines.

Wow, Glad you got a handle on the problem & Thanks for getting back with the resolution.. We all learn from it.:)

Back