free website stats program sporty drive belt | Harley Davidson Forums

sporty drive belt

2006FXDCI

Friend of mine has a 2005 sporty 883, his drive belt keeps running hard against the tranny sprocket cover to the point it is removing aluminum from it. I have adjusted his belt 3 times now and have even tried tightening his right side adjuster up to 1 full turn more than the left side but can't get the belt to track back in towards the engine. Anyone have any suggestions as I'm at a loss. I work in a power plant and have to train coal belts all the time but this sporty drive belt has me baffled. Thanks for any help, Josh

and have even tried tightening his right side adjuster up to 1 full turn more than the left side

(based on a 2006 XL because it is the closest manual I have)

The belt is being driven to the outside of the transmission. The belt is on the right side of the bike.

Not that I would use the rear axle adjusters to correct belt tracking but to me, shortening the right side adjuster would make it even worse.

How many miles are on these parts (belts, sprockets)
Is there physical wear on the transmission sprocket.

It would have to be off a bunch,, but I would also look at the stabilizer link adjustment. You could have a slight twist.

A lot of the answers or type of answers would be based on How Hard the belt is being driven outward. That makes a difference where I would look first.
If you jack the rear wheel up,, force (drive) the belt to the center of pulley,, how many turns of the rear wheel does it take before the belt is on the cover..

Don't forget the center of the axle/wheel needs to be of equal length OFF the little holes and center line of the axle.... Measured by one or two Coat hanger wires bent at 90 degrees close to one end... 1.5" max dem. needed and then Mark the center off each side to be equal THEN adjust the run-out on the belt..

IF this center measurement is way off,,,, then the whole engine is out of alignment with the frame..

Example follows:

1____________ bent hanger looks like this on the left...

A !/8" hole on each side of the rear frame is used for centering the axle... this is a must be close then adjust the belt...
I like to see my belt with Just a little open of each side of the Rear pulley while moving tire forward...

signed....BUBBIE

I have the service manual for this bike and also have the proper tool for aligning the rear wheel and setting belt tension. When I adjust the axle adjusters so they are dead even with the aligning tool the belt runs hard to the right side of the tranny pulley, so much so that it is removing aluminum from the tranny sprocket guard. I thought if i would tighten the right side axle adjuster ( pulling the right side of the axle closer to the end of the swingarm ) it would help track the belt back in towards the motor but no luck. I am going to remove the rear wheel, belt and tranny sprocket guard this week and inspect for wear on these components. Bike has 25,000 miles on it. I have a question for you guys, when I put it all back together can i flip the belt over so it would be running in the opposite direction that it has been running since new? I am using the holes in the swingarm bolt and the live centers drilled in the axle for my measurements, is this correct?

can i flip the belt over so it would be running in the opposite direction that it has been running since new?

I would bet that both Gates Rubber and somewhere in the service manual it says Not to do it, but I would do it anyway.

Personally, I would not care what Gates or the book says. If it's pulling that hard, you have to take drastic measures just to see what the results will be. After you flip the belt, if it pulls in the same direction, it tells you a bunch. If it pulls in the opposite direction it tells you a bunch. Either way you win.

I would bet that both Gates Rubber and somewhere in the service manual it says Not to do it, but I would do it anyway.

Personally, I would not care what Gates or the book says. If it's pulling that hard, you have to take drastic measures just to see what the results will be. After you flip the belt, if it pulls in the same direction, it tells you a bunch. If it pulls in the opposite direction it tells you a bunch. Either way you win.

Sure you can tho they say not to, It may be noisey and not want to wear in but it is worth a try, They always caution us on timing belts the same way, In my experience I have seen noise from this:s

IF you reverse the Belt, AND it runs the same way, THEN You will Know It Is the engine out of alignment with the rear end.
Not the axle.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, found the problem tranny pulley bearing is shot. Can you help me with a few questions first how many teeth on a 2005 sporty 883 tranny pulley, and second I can't even find a part number for it online do you happen to have it. I think the socket for removing the pulley is 1 7/8 is this correct ? Thanks for all the help. Josh

Josh,

I think you are looking for part number 40379-04 28 tooth sprocket.

Chicago Harley gives 20% discount on most Harley Parts.

Back